Line Arrays. Are they superior to point source??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bas Horneman said:
Pete,

They look great! Do they sound great?

What drivers did you use? Dipole as well?

Cheers,
Bas

B&G RD50s with the new Dayton 7" aluminum cones. All dipole, biamped using a Marchand XM9 xover at 450 Hz.

I am amazed by the sound. Dipoles made such a huge difference in my room. The ribbons are nothing short of amazing to me. Spacious transparant. I'm in love again! :)

Pete

Dear Lito

what s your line array brand.
and which technology does it use.
allways take care for DSP who manage the speakers.
the pro line arrays are allways shows the db in the areas.
it interseting to know that the newest technology in line arrays made by nexo in france and won the mipa-award in 2003.
good luck on your way

Multiple Neo3s?

I have various Neo8 and Neo3PDR sitting here. I originally intended to build a Neo8 closed line array. The 12.5 kHz hump is not an issue in a line array configuration I have heard many times. I figured I could take care of the droop above 15 kHz with some EQ.

Then I almost convinced to cut off the Neo8 array at 10 kHz and use a single Neo3PDR in the center of each line for the high end, but I was concerned about the difference in the radiation pattern (line source to point source transistion).

Thanks to CV (have a look at the trading post), I now have a bigger number of Neo3-PDRs. I could probably insert a Neo3PDR between all the Neo8s, but I guess this would result in serious comb filtering...?

Do you really mean B&C or rather B&G (Bohlender & Graebener)?

I have made sealed enclosures about 15 cm deep and 12 cm wide internally, each of which can house 2 Neo 8s. I can stack them up to any height, and I can decide to put extra Neo3s or woofers in between. I had been thinking about Scan 8555-00 in dipole configuration, like the Linkwitz Phoenix. I had'n decided whether to insert the woofers into the main line (of course separately) or to mount them on top of each other (as in the Phoenix) and have them sit close to the side of the line array.

Regards,

Eric

Re: Tag Mac pulls out of hi-fi and Seventh Veil is out of the Kleenex business.

7V said:

Sadly I have to report that my company is "considering its position" with regard to the sale of the Kleenex high end audiophile accessory.

Apparently, someone complained to eBay about the auction and they have banned it. Sigh! According to the feedback I was getting, many people found it amusing. I was really looking forward to the next auction in the series as well.

The 'humour police' are very much alive and well and they're living somewhere in the hi-fi community.

For those interested, I believe that Asda, Sainsbury, Tesco, Safeway and Boots (among others) are alternative sources for the product. Whether it works as well as mine .....

I missed it, and I'm in dire need of a chuckle. What was it?

Dave

Re: [B]B&C Speakers in line arrays[/B]

jts said:
B&C Speakers in line arrays

I m trying to make a high spl and heavey speaker to be a part of great line arrays.
I choose the B&C Speakers for my project does any body work with B&C
Please describe it.

info@jtspro.com

Thanks

I've never used them (I'm using TAD), but Tom Danley of ServoDrive experimented with a lot of different 1" compression drivers for his Unity speakers before settling on the B&C. That's a good endorsement I'd say.

John

Re: Re: Tag Mac pulls out of hi-fi and Seventh Veil is out of the Kleenex business.

kneadle said:
I missed it, and I'm in dire need of a chuckle. What was it?
Hi Dave,

I've put the latest advert on eBay but without a link (so that's no fun). However, the "Tissue" advert and the new one are both on audiogon.

For Exquisite, High end speakers - you'll need this and:
For The Absolute Best - The ulitimate power supply

I hope that these give you the chuckle you need. I've had some really amusing responses, particularly to the second advert.

Re: Re: [B]B&C Speakers in line arrays[/B]

hancock said:

I've never used them (I'm using TAD), but Tom Danley of ServoDrive experimented with a lot of different 1" compression drivers for his Unity speakers before settling on the B&C. That's a good endorsement I'd say.

John

I've been really happy with B&C speakers. They are used in a lot of EAW sound reinforcement speakers, and have a very nice sound to them. The parts are readily available if they break, and they're easy to repair.

Cheers,
Zach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.