Exotic tweeters for cars?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thought I'd ask here, the car audio forum doesnt have near as much participation. I was the one who made the angleing rings for the Corvette in a post about a week ago. I finally got around to putting the door panels on the car. Good news the midbasses fit and aim perfectly like I wanted. Bad news, I must have miscalculated and the driver's tweeter is almost totally covered by the door panel. Damn double damn. Sooo... I'm considering relocating to the A pillars, as the covers are probbly ppetty easy to replace if need be, easy wiring and they are sorta mounted. That and the dash is fairly symmetrical and getting up there would alleviate my "tweeter firing into the steering wheel" problem.

I'm also thinking of doing an exotic design instead of the damn domes i have now (MB Quarts which are bright as balls). I use a pair of Magnepan MGIIIA true ribbon/planar magnetic speakers at home. I'd like horns maybe, (I use horns in my PA system) but those tend to be hard to mount, especially in a corvete. Any AFFORDABLE planar/ribbon tweeters out there that has wide horizontal dispersion?

Moving the tweeters up to the dash will cause time delay issues
that can cause a collapse of sound stage. How will you cross over
from the Mids to the Tweeters? If you used an Active solution I
would get some sort of active XO that incorperates time delay
functions so that you can match the timing between the door and
the pillar mounted or dash mounted tweeters.

As for High end tweeters... Any good tweeter could be used even
something meant for a home environment (something like the
Focal Tioxid or a Vifa Conncentric) what about Horns? Image
Dynamics makes some horns that are pretty high end (big time
expensive though).

I think mounting horns would be sort of hard in the vette :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.