Unblowable Bookshelves? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2011, 12:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Unblowable Bookshelves?

Hi, I'm Deadmau5 and this is my first post! I have intermediate hi-fi knowledge and I'm a tinkerer, so I've been mulling around making a pair of easy to build two-ways for a while.

My friend is quite the partier but appreciates good sound, so when his logitechs were blown twice, I helped him get some clearance klipch B2's. Well, some idiot blew those over the weekend. Suffice it to say every weekend there is something going on and inebriated people and this volume problem is going to be reoccurring because someones going to turn it up all the way when no one is looking (which isn't going to change anytime soon )

So the budget is about $300. What kind of kit or total diy, as in parts and and diy cabinet can handle the peak/rms of a beastly yamaha receiver, an older pro-logic a4900 which weighs about 85lbs and says 115rms. I've seen some commercial models saying 150-200 at 4ohms but nothing at 8.

I also realize a floorstanding with many drivers can provide full sound and naturally hogs wattage leaving it less prone to blow but I'm trying to go for quality vs cheapo floorstandings. I'd appreciate any advice!
Old 18th April 2011, 01:47 AM   #2
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

As soon as you build the idiot proof speaker, along will come the improved idiot version 2.0.
Old 18th April 2011, 02:09 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Are you the real Deadmau5?
Old 18th April 2011, 02:23 AM   #4
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa12222 View Post
Are you the real Deadmau5?
Are you cereal

Think about what you are asking here...
Old 18th April 2011, 02:33 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Unblowable?...not for me!
Old 18th April 2011, 02:46 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Unblowable bookshelves sounds like a job for a designated DJ. You could use light bulbs, PTC thermistors, soft clipping or compressor circuits. None of it will sound good as a reasonable volume setting.
Old 18th April 2011, 02:55 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Goes without saying that nothing is completely bulletproof. Also goes without saying that most amplifiers can generate ferocious amounts of crap at heinous levels if driven far enough into clipping. And also that, no matter how loud it gets, people will always want more.
SO:
Build something with semi/pro drivers (Eminence make some respectable low cost units, maybe a variation on the Econowave idea) that will take a bit more abuse by their nature.
Look at using polyswitches (PTC thermistors) as a last line of defense for the drivers, or even put a light globe in series with the tweeter like in the old days.
Or use cheap disposable drivers and just accept that they are only gonna last a week....
Or, better still, get a locked cabinet to put your amp in!
Old 18th April 2011, 07:58 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yea, one day I was thinking of building an amp with a cylindrical key lock that needs to be turned on to enable high volume
Old 18th April 2011, 08:43 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

You can add a sub to the system and cross over at say around 120hz. that will free up the main speakers from low end duties and it will be able to handle a lot more power.

My AVR ymaha rx-v663 has a setting where I can limit the max volume level that it can goto. Maybe something similar will work for you too.
Old 18th April 2011, 12:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

What about the after burner project? It uses a 12" prosound driver to cover most of the frequencies. Maybe bigger than what you had it mind, but it should be hard to blow, and would fit easily in your price range. From all reports it sounds quite good too.

Single Driver Website

Joe

Hide this!Advertise here!