Unblowable Bookshelves?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm Deadmau5 and this is my first post! I have intermediate hi-fi knowledge and I'm a tinkerer, so I've been mulling around making a pair of easy to build two-ways for a while.

My friend is quite the partier but appreciates good sound, so when his logitechs were blown twice, I helped him get some clearance klipch B2's. Well, some idiot blew those over the weekend. Suffice it to say every weekend there is something going on and inebriated people and this volume problem is going to be reoccurring because someones going to turn it up all the way when no one is looking (which isn't going to change anytime soon ;) )

So the budget is about $300. What kind of kit or total diy, as in parts and and diy cabinet can handle the peak/rms of a beastly yamaha receiver, an older pro-logic a4900 which weighs about 85lbs and says 115rms. I've seen some commercial models saying 150-200 at 4ohms but nothing at 8.

I also realize a floorstanding with many drivers can provide full sound and naturally hogs wattage leaving it less prone to blow but I'm trying to go for quality vs cheapo floorstandings. I'd appreciate any advice!

Goes without saying that nothing is completely bulletproof. Also goes without saying that most amplifiers can generate ferocious amounts of crap at heinous levels if driven far enough into clipping. And also that, no matter how loud it gets, people will always want more.
SO:
Build something with semi/pro drivers (Eminence make some respectable low cost units, maybe a variation on the Econowave idea) that will take a bit more abuse by their nature.
Look at using polyswitches (PTC thermistors) as a last line of defense for the drivers, or even put a light globe in series with the tweeter like in the old days.
Or use cheap disposable drivers and just accept that they are only gonna last a week....
Or, better still, get a locked cabinet to put your amp in!

I know in some parts of the world, word doesn't get to certain remote regions for awhile but I think with the internet it's a lot better than it used to be. Ever hear of a relatively recent invention called a fuse? Now all you have to do is figure out the right size and how to install it. Instructional material is plentiful. Frankly I think your friend would be better off going on the way he has been up to now. One day he might just come to the conclusion that everything has its limits...including his liver. That's much harder to replace than a speaker. With a blown liver you only get to be a dead man once.

All of his friends have barked up that tree to no avail, people learn when they want to learn!

I understand I can use a fuse, I was interested in building a speaker for the chance to build one and even if I do use a fuse, what am I using a slow-burn? I checked the Klipsch's wattage and they were rated at 75 so I would guess in the 120's for anything I make would be alright.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.