which cabinet: Lowther or Fostex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking at building some speakers and have been looking at these two designs. Has anyone done either of these or have any input to pros or cons for each. Thanks

Attachments

• horns.jpg
    horns.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 597
I haven't done either one but I do have some input for you to think about.

From a musical viewpoint

!. If it were me, I would decide on the driver first and then the cabinet.

2. and/or I would decide whether I wanted the rear loaded horn to exit out the front or the back which I see as a major difference in these two designs- while I have never owned either I would believe there to be more than a slight difference between the two

3. Cost and upgrade path

if cost was a consideration I would go with the Fostex. The Sigma is one of their best products and from my one experience with the FE206E and what I have read they have an outstanding cost/benefit ratio.

With the sigma there is a clear upgrade path, of tweeters with prices that don't require a loan.

While I know of no real reason to restrict it to such, I think of a Lowther upgrade path as being selling the old drivers and putting in new - for considerably more dollars.

While a good bit more money, Lowther alnico's are well thought of and provide point source coherence - I have looked longingly at some PM2A's or PM5's for my front horns. Cost has been a major factor in not going there. Lowther also has an entreched group of enthusiasts from which to draw resources, ideas and compare experiences.

I have no personal preference for either Lowther or Fostex - it really depends on which approach you wish to take.

So while these two boxes seem somewhat similar - to my way of thinking they are more like apples and oranges. They are very similar but also different.

not really a simple question - you'll have to weigh these things out.

regards

Ken L

I have used both Fostex and Lowther drivers. Lowther DX series drivers are a cut above the two Fostex drivers I have in my quarter wavelength designs (Projects 2 and 3). I can easily recommend the Lowther DX drivers in my ML TL design (Project 4). A review can be found at the following link :

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/discuss.cgi?read=261442

My advice would be not to waste your time on a back loaded horn. That is my opinion, you have to decide for yourself.

Hope that helps,

MJK said:
I have used both Fostex and Lowther drivers. Lowther DX series drivers are a cut above the two Fostex drivers I have in my quarter wavelength designs (Projects 2 and 3). I can easily recommend the Lowther DX drivers in my ML TL design.
My advice would be not to waste your time on a back loaded horn.

Martin and his designs are well known and very well thought of.

A number of people are using his design and it has an excellent reputation.He is quite knowledgable and been very giving of his designs and time to the DIY community.There are a number of users at the full range driver forum and other forums using his design.

I am using front loaded horns and would have suggested his MLTL design had I thought of it.

It is easy to build and great bang for the buck.

No matter what the size or the cost, there are always compromises.

Martin has truly balanced compromises in an innovative manner that builds easily and is a nifty package.

To Martin:

Thanks for all your efforts and contributions to the DIY community.

To Wardsweb:

Martins comments are very likely the best you will get to this thread. Very few people will have as wide a range of experience. Not only from his direct experience but from his wide ranging communications in this area.

Best regards

Ken L

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I think for now, this being a hobby, I'll start with the Fostex FE208E sigma in their recommended cabinet. Not that it will sound better but because I can build two complete speakers for half the cost of one Lowther DX driver. (side note: I believe the Fidelio used EX2 drivers) This will be my first full range speaker. I already have Martin Logan CLS, Altec A7, JBL L26, L40, and custom corner horns, just to name a few. I like building stuff and thought I would try something different for a change.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.