2.5 way Peerless 831735

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
TQWTs completed with Peerless 831735s

Finished my folded TQWTs using these drivers. This was a first DIY project.
The speakers do sound very good, but hearing the 831735s makes me almost wish for a pair of them in each cabinet. I did do calculations for such a design, and found it would need a 5-foot tower with a 117" internal path.

Pictures are below. You'll see why a somewhat tall, narrow design was required.

External dimensions are 8" wide, 14" deep, 47" tall. The internal taper goes from 6.5"^2 to 78"^2. Internal path is 93". The port is 2.75" wide x 4.5" deep. All built from 3/4" birch ply, with 1/2" particle board sandwiched on the baffle, top and bottom. Yes, that tweeter is back-mounted, with a 'waveguide' routed and sanded into the 1.25" thick front baffle. The cabinets sit on 3/4" spikes, which did make an improvement in the bass.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Bass Boost

Does your receiver/amp whatnot have a "bass boost" button?

The speakers play through a 65-watt Onkyo home theater receiver. I tried retaining the subwoofer and crossing over at 40hz, but ended up disconnecting the sub. Right now I'm just using the tone controls, keeping the treble flat and raising the bass by 4dB. Currently listening to a piece by Govinda (YouTube - ‪Govinda - Two Become One‬‏) and it sounds very nice.

By the way, picked up some 'new' surround speakers last week at a thrift shop - a pair of Paradigm Atom v.2's for $10. They'll do for a while until I build a pair of my own. Next project might be a restoration/modification of my old Mach Ones.

I have a couple, I think. I like them well enough, but am willing to sell replacement + spare.

Where are you located for shipping? Let me look to confirm they're on my shelf and in good shape and I'll check back in here...

edit: also, some rubber glue on the surround would most likely not affect the sound, just not look as nice. Regardless, I'd want to have at least one spare driver if I'd gone through the effort to build those.

I have a couple, I think. I like them well enough, but am willing to sell replacement + spare.

Where are you located for shipping? Let me look to confirm they're on my shelf and in good shape and I'll check back in here...

edit: also, some rubber glue on the surround would most likely not affect the sound, just not look as nice. Regardless, I'd want to have at least one spare driver if I'd gone through the effort to build those.
Hi I'm in Sacramento 95828

Doll would love to get the 6.5s from you

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.