Best style of speaker for HOME THEATER - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2011, 05:33 PM   #1
hawkson is offline hawkson  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Best style of speaker for HOME THEATER

What is the recommended style of speaker for pure Home Theater setup?

Some terminology I have run into while doing my searches

Line Array vs 5 2 way speakers vs LCR 3 way/Surround 2 way

TMW vs MTM

5 vs 6.5 vs 8

I know what these mean(I think), I want to know what is considered best for HT.

I think M&K use Line Array, is this correct?

Room is 14 x 17.

Last edited by hawkson; 8th April 2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 8th April 2011, 06:36 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'm sure one of these can be made to work well.

:)ensen

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th April 2011, 06:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Seriously speaking (pun intended).... a good speaker is a good speaker. More important is placement. Following the usual guidelines for equidistant placement around the viewing position will generally give good results.

:)ensen.
Old 8th April 2011, 07:09 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeople View Post
... a good speaker is a good speaker. More important is placement.
worth repeating.

It is more about exectution than topology and one cannot ignore synergy with the electronics.

dave
Old 8th April 2011, 07:42 PM   #5
oublie is offline oublie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

what about the whole in wall thing? Thats what i'm planning to do when i finally convert the garage i.e. a baffle wall with the speakers embedded in the walls. the rears and sides mounted on wall but shallow with the absorbsion the same depth as the speakers?
Old 8th April 2011, 07:52 PM   #6
oublie is offline oublie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

p.s. from a lot of reading recently most av receiver introduce a 2nd order rolloff at 80hz so speakers should ideally have an acoustic -3 db at 80 hz this apparently creates a 4th order linkwitz riley 4th order crossover to the sub. The sub should be crossed at 80z 4th order lr - this is what i've read regarding thx standards. DTS etc are about the same so basically 7 speakers plus serious subs is the way to go however like all these things the choice will be yours.

Opinion is different regarding the use of monopole speakers for side duties apparently in a small room monopole is better than bipole. but of course like everything is audio opinions will differ.

Your rooms is almost identical in size to my own (18 X 15) and i plan to build 7 short line arrays.

This link may help you a bit.

Guide to Surround Sound: Sound formats, AV Receivers and Speakers
Old 8th April 2011, 09:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten
what about the whole in wall thing? Thats what i'm planning to do when i finally convert the garage i.e. a baffle wall with the speakers embedded in the walls. the rears and sides mounted on wall but shallow with the absorbsion the same depth as the speakers?
The studio speakers are set into the screen wall; it makes the bass response very predictable, but if you're using a projection screen make sure the tweeters are very close to it; an appreciable amount of the energy is reflected back, causing comb filtering if the distance is in audio wavelengths.

But all the speakers (except the subs, of course) should sound right without the subwoofer; they're not supposed to be high-passed satellite speakers, but full frequency, with the LFE channel enhancing them for spectacularly loud bits. If your screen speakers are mid and high only, letting the sub do all the work below 120 Hz the baffle wall won't give you any audio advantages (and it's a lot of work)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Studio THX spkrs.jpg (157.5 KB, 287 views)
Old 8th April 2011, 09:26 PM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

chrispenycate:

For many of us the phrase "home theatre" is generic - not everyone can accommodate such a specific custom design as what appears to be a mixing control room in your above post - we actually need to be able to live in the space.

In such cases, my opinion is that the "best"(compromise) speakers for a multi-channel HT system would be those that will fit in the room without completely dominating it. WAF and working around necessary furnishings can be as important as attempting to obtain ultimate performance. If the the past 20yrs or so have shown anything, it's that those goal posts keep changing - so a custom built-in system needs to be considered as temporary as one sitting on cardboard boxes.

While this is the multi-way forum, keep in mind that more than a few folks are getting quite satisfactory performance in small venues or less than "realistic" levels with simple wideband single driver speaker enclosures for the mains, centers and surrounds and multiple subs. My recently acquired $400 Denon receiver has 5 channels of amps built in, and selectable pre outs for height or extra rear/surrounds. Altogether that's 7 channels plus as many subs as you want to drive from the single LFE. After trying it out, I certainly found that at least 2 subs is highly recommended.

Last edited by chrisb; 8th April 2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 8th April 2011, 10:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

"best" .. well depends on for who..

The generaly accepted approaches have been listed.
You can choose to have front+rear+center boxes with only some smaller fullrage drivers and a nice sub.
That is for space saving.
Prehaps a bit better to go for 2-way boxes for front-center-rear. Suposedly they should be identical units. 5" -ish midbass and a tweeter is not a bad option.
If my opinion would count, then i would say it is better is to grab a 6.5" midbass and a proper tweeter for everything, and add a nice sub.
Peerles brand 6.5" midbass units and vifa xt25 tweeter are affordable options, and yield a more or less economic box size too. Done properly they are quite a good deal for sorthof anything.
As for sub..
Tat is more or less working to help out all the other channels, so it is supposed to have the most grunt. I would prefer a sealed topology for thatone, and consider ported one as a good compromise. 4th and 6th order would be a not so good option do to theyr delay, and mono-tone coloring. One thing is for sure, least i would use is 2x12" drivers if i would have 6." midbass units all around me.
Might worth a shot to built a sub EQ too. Probably it will help to get that real ground shaking effect Hollywood is building on.

As for the baffel wall idea, it can help a lot, or it can ruin a lot.
I conider that more or less gambling. True, if it works it can be wounderfull.
But to awoid ratling the wall should be verry solid. I would not recommend it unless Your wall is a brick wall. To place speakers nto a wall quite a lot of masonry effort must be taken into consideration.
Old 9th April 2011, 12:45 AM   #10
hawkson is offline hawkson  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies,
Ill be building the speakers and I want to know where to start my research with so many different options.

More info
Everything will be powered using 2 Behringer 2500s, coming from a XONAR HDAV 1.3. EQ will be adjusted using the Sound Cards Drivers using Analog out.
I have no wife, but looks are important.

From the suggestions so far I am not clear on which way to proceed. I appreciate the advice on room placement.

Full Range Drivers or 2 way speakers or 3 way speakers?

I should go with MT and separate subs? A line array is 3 identical speakers in a row?
The line arrays I have seen are MMTTT. This is overkill for 14x17?

Hide this!Advertise here!