Looking for 6" midrange.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Response all the out to around 10 KHz before rolling off, 4 ohms, around 95 db @ 2.83/v/1m, Qts around 0.3 or so, and at least a few mm of xmax. High pass will be LR2 via 0.5 Qtc to a large (15"+) vented or TL woofer, low pass will be LR2 around 2.5 KHz to a sensitive dome with enough guts to handle the power, haven't quite decided which one yet.

..Any ideas?

Paul,

Since you are on line can you tell me the Sonogram software you use to measure the drivers/speakers directivity. Thanks.

BHTW,

I use PHL drivers they are quite good with high efficiency around 95dB, they have a number of midrange 6-7", I am not confident it will go all the way to 10kHz. There are number of models available at E-speakers,

Welcome to E-Speakers.com - Very High End Loudspeaker Components

PHL 1120 may fit your bill.

T/S specs for Pyle Pro PDN8 PDN65

The High Efficiency Speaker Asylum posted a few T/S specs for the Pyle Pro PDN8 PDN65.

If anyone on diyAudio has measurements please post. The speaker pictures look interesting for their $37 - $45 price point.

================
A car audio website posted this T/S data for the Pyle PDN8 copied from the datasheet enclosed in the shipping box. There were a few positive comments on the PDN8 from actual owners. I need an Fs ~40Hz, so the PDN8 is not an option.

Pyle Pro PDN8 8" Mid-bass ( ~$45)

8'' Kevlar Reinforced Paper Cone
Cloth Multi-Roll Surround
2'' Flat Wound CCAW High Temp Voice Coil
Die-Cast Aluminum Frame
Aluminium Phase Plug
High Density Neodymium Magnet
500 Watts Rms/1000 Watts Peak Power
4 Ohm Impedance
Sensitivity: 94 db (1W-1M)
Frequency Response: 90Hz-10KHz

F0 (hz) - 100
QES - 0.58
QMS - 8.2
QTS - 0.55
VAS (cuFt) - 9
SPL (db) - 94
Pyle Pro PDN65
6.5" paper cone/ 1.5" voice coil
Die cast frame/ aluminum phase plug
Neodymium magnet
4 ohm
94db/watt
===============
Bruce Edgar
I recently purchased a PDN65 from parts express to see how it would perform as a midrange horn driver. The spec sheet gives the following TS parameters: Fs=105Hz, Qms=8, Qes=0.55, Qts=0.53, VAS=6.5cuft, Sens=93dB, and maxpwr=800w.

Attachments

• PDN8_F.jpg
    PDN8_F.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 349
  • PDN8_R.jpg
    PDN8_R.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 345
  • PDN65.jpg
    PDN65.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 352
Do you mean "isobaric" ?

What's the benefit for midrange in such configuration?

4 ohms (which outside of supravox is rare). Mass doubles so the lower end is a bit more tactile. Chamber reflections can be better controlled. But basically there isn't one in any traditional sense. :eek: Sure Vas halves.. but essentially useless in this application.

(Note the filter can form a delay on the front driver relative to the "rear" driver., but it's still best to pick a driver with low diaphragm "leakage".)

with isobaric in midrange, have you thought about different phase offset of the two drivers
and the midrange that will radiate through front diaphragm from back driver

'twas the reason for the "note". ;)

But having done this with even questionable drivers I've not found it to be objectionable/audible.

Another "note": Because most of the upper freq. radiation is from the dustcap (in the case of a driver like the B&C mentioned), it's prudent to use back-to-back (driver) compound loading.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any actual experience with the Pyle PDN65 or the two Beyma Pro units (Pro 6MI / 65ND) which I guess are identical except for the magnets?

I'm also guessing, based upon a couple of WAG's that the Vas on the two Pyle units is an order of magnitude too large?

Does anyone have any actual experience with the Pyle PDN65 or the two Beyma Pro units (Pro 6MI / 65ND) which I guess are identical except for the magnets?

I'm also guessing, based upon a couple of WAG's that the Vas on the two Pyle units is an order of magnitude too large?

Zaph has a measurement of the 8 ohm flat surround ferrite Beyma. Higher non-linear distortion, but otherwise pretty nice for a mid.

Zaph|Audio

"This is a dedicated midrange and as such it's bass extension and performance are not part of these ratings. It's a high sensitivity pro midrange with a cast frame and phase plug with slightly below average build quality. It has a flat foam surround with nearly no Xmax, so it's low end is very limited even for a mid. The response is smooth enough with a mild 5kHz breakup, but tall order nonlinear distortion is not particularly good. If you need a high sensitivity mid, there are better options out there. Tested August 2008."

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.