Need help picking a tweeter please!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I am looking for a replacement tweeter for my Usher 520's...the tweeter in it, although not bad, is prone to sibilance and I'm just not too keen on it!!

What I am looking for is a tweet that is smooth, not prone to any sibilance, warm sounding, fat, full bodied, rolled off, rounded, clarity, vocals in the room rather than at the back of the stage, no glare, non-fatiguing, non-aggressive...ROFL!!!

Did I get it all?? :D

Shouldn't be too hard to find one!!! Silk dome too please...no metal...I'm not looking for that last word in detail...I want a "musical" tweeter!!

Price...around the $50 each mark...maybe a little more depending on the gains...

Suggestions??

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks kindly!!!

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
its often related to Xover, also

you could try to attenuate your Usher with just a series resistor, with plain old cement wirewound, 5-10watt

but as said, Xover matters
all too often harsh is related to tweeter low end roll off
and midrange driver

if they are not working together, coherently, 'things' tend to 'stick out', drawing attention

Thanks for the reply!!

I've already eliminated the xover...gone active using a Behringer UltraDrive Pro :)

Done wonders and they are now much better than stock but I can't help wondering what a different tweet would do...something like I said which is more what I'm looking for in sound!!

The mid-bass driver is quite good actually!!! Just the tweet needs working on!!

Thanks again!!

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Thanks for the reply!!

I've already eliminated the xover...gone active using a Behringer UltraDrive Pro :)

that is ok, but not as such a cure by itself

even if active, dsp or whatever, you still have a crossover to deal with, and which could cause unwanted things going on with driver roll off slopes, phase, etc

hey, it might even be your tweeter amp

I can only echo what tinitus has said. Even with perfect drivers you can alter the voicing such that the loudspeakers as a whole will either caress you, or rip your ears off. Do make sure that any upper end raggedness of the mid/bass is well controlled, and also make sure that baffle step has been corrected for too. Both of these can add distinct qualities to a loudspeaker, neither of which are partcularly pleasent and will make the loudspeaker sound rough or fatiguing.

Decent metal domes don't sound harsh, far from it, they can sound lush/smooth whilst being very well extended.

It would seem that replacing the tweeter won't or may not be a cure all for the ills which you present. For any real chance of success you're going to need measuring capabilities. Either that or simply faff about with parametric EQ with the DCX.

To correct for bafflestep you want to implement a low shelf filter of about 4-6dB centred at about 350hz on the mid/bass. This should be easy to implement with the DCX, so try that out first, if you've not already.

Oh very correct...measuring is there!!!

But like I said...just curious as to what a different tweeter may bring!!!

You have to know that these stock tweeters are only $10 a piece...I want to try something in the $50-$60 buck range...it was even recommended to me by a buddy to try the Usher 9950's!!!

I'm not sure on that...therefore I am posting for other options :)

I'm not a "hifi" guy...I very much like my gear to be "musical" rather than correct\analytical...hence my beginning description!!

Just want to try something else :)

Thanks again!!

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
well, cheap is cheap, and sometimes too cheap

Vifa/Peerless XT19 is a nice tweeter, and cheap
maybe a bit fine grained, and a 'softie'
smallish, and might get low end trouble

maybe take a look at SB Acoustic
affordable too
though I never heard one

generally, I would suggest one with low ressonance(Fs)
and smooth rolloff at both ends

Thanks!!!

You know...there was someplace I was reading about an SB Acoustic were it was very much like a Morel!!

I was thinking of a Morel to start with but I can't find one that would line up...I'm sure there are a few that are the right size but with only 3 bolt holes rather than the 4 the Usher has!!

And that Vifa...well...if its grainy then I would probably hear it LOL!!! A buddy of mine says I am intolerable to stuff like that although a rolled off, non-extended top end is fine...he shakes his head at me :D

Cheers!!!

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
You know...there was someplace I was reading about an SB Acoustic were it was very much like a Morel!!

former ScanSpeak employees

anyway, fine grained is I believe what makes it a 'musical softie'
the most non grained tweeter I have heard is Thiel/Accuton
but some years ago, and older models
the smaller C11 was...fine grained
bigger C21 didn't have the refined top of C11, but in return a fantastic 'low end'

right now, I'm happy listening to a cheap cheap 2" Tangband

The best tweeter I've ever experienced is the SEAS DXT if you can handle flattening the response from the wave-guide you can't really go wrong with it, especially as it handles low xover frequencies without any issue too.

I've used both the XT19/25 and I vastly prefer the 25. The XT19 sounded quite firey/rough by comparison to it's bigger brother. Note that both were used with 4th order acoustic LWR slopes @ 3khz and were phase aligned, the rest of the system remained identical, so that's as fair a comparison as you're going to get. I mainly bought the XTs to try, relatively cheap and get good reviews. The tweeter that had been in the system previously was a scan D2905/95 and I didn't expect either of the tweeters to sound better then the scan tweeter, only the XT25 did, so it remained in the system.

A cheap but very good sounding tweeter is the vifa DQ25. I've used these in a two way with an RS125, crossed 4th order @ 2500hz, the DQ25s in that system don't put a foot wrong, it's a great sounding small speaker and one I could listen to all day.

If you want to try another tweeter then go ahead, you're not really breaking the bank by spending up to $100 on a pair.

I will stress once again though that buying a new tweeter might not solve the issue. Just be prepared to have to do some extra work to get things sounding how you want them too.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I'm having fun with this one :clown: maybe adding a supertweet could be fun too :D

Attachments

• TB W2-800SL.jpg
    TB W2-800SL.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 63
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.