DIY or just buy commercial? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2011, 12:08 PM   #1
Jussi is offline Jussi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Default DIY or just buy commercial?

I got this sticky dilemma.

My present WWMTM dynamic dipoles have served me well and I've also planned an upgraded version with WWMTMWW configuration. Peerless SLS 12" woofers, W18 Excels and Pro5i ribbon in the middle. Bit like Beethoven Grand. All active.

Then I got an intresting proposal from a fellow builder. Pair of Magnepan 3.5/R in decent price. Would take my DIY stuff in change.

What do you think? SWOT analysis, comments, recommendations?

Present speakers already need space behind them and operation method is the same so placing neither option would be similar to my present ones. No difference there.
Old 30th March 2011, 05:27 PM   #2
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

DIY of course.

Here a high quality low price design wmtmw. Compact design monopole. Very good engineering (I could thought of it my self )

mivoc awm124
monacor carbon sph170
monacor DT300 I used it my self very nice performer.
Click the image to open in full size.

Loudspeakers by Emil Attlid

Last edited by Helmuth; 30th March 2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 2nd April 2011, 08:46 PM   #3
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Have you listened to the Magnepans?

I hadn't ever heard any, until recently, when I picked up a pair of MG12/QR. They are astounding, with imaging almost beyond belief, and astonishing clarity. I also have Vandersteen 2Ce and Thiel CS1.2 speakers, and haven't listened to anything but the Magnepans, since I got them.

The only downside I can think of, with the Magnepans, is that they seem to be extremely sensitive to listening position (or speaker positions). You have to be in the "sweet spot", to experience most of their benefits.
Old 2nd April 2011, 11:42 PM   #4
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gootee View Post
Have you listened to the Magnepans?

I hadn't ever heard any, until recently, when I picked up a pair of MG12/QR. They are astounding, with imaging almost beyond belief, and astonishing clarity. I also have Vandersteen 2Ce and Thiel CS1.2 speakers, and haven't listened to anything but the Magnepans, since I got them.

The only downside I can think of, with the Magnepans, is that they seem to be extremely sensitive to listening position (or speaker positions). You have to be in the "sweet spot", to experience most of their benefits.
I have heard ESL's and also magnepans, and compared to the ESL's or normal speakers the mangnepans did not suffer a sweet-spot problem in the room I listened to them.
Old 3rd April 2011, 01:11 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I would do the trade (assuming you feel there is comparable value in the offer). Commercial speakers have more value to the great unwashed, and to quite a few of the "washed" as well. Thus, it's validating your skill when someone offers a trade.

"A guy traded his Maggies for a pair of my speakers" has a lot more weight than "I had an offer of a trade of Maggies once but we didn't go through with it" which loosely translates to "Yeah, Right" to a skeptical person.

You can always make more speakers, as well, because you carry the skill to do a DIY set that really works.

If you do continue with the hobby, comparisons are made easier because you now have a commercial reference that people you correspond with or talk with in forums like this can relate to. Also, you will find it easier to sell future speakers when you have the maggies sitting there to compare with.

I think it's a good offer unless you absolutely can't afford to keep them.
" ... Go back to the beginning of a technology before the priesthood was established; that was the time when people were communicating information, not proving why there needs to be Priests. This is why the old texts tend to be so good. ..."
Old 3rd April 2011, 01:25 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

It depends on whether you want the most direct path to very high quality sound (Magnepans) or the time spent and ego gratification of DIY that may well end up with a lower quality outcome. DIY'ing 3-way speakers of very high quality requires deep knowledge and measuring tools that most do not possess. But if you enjoy the journey rather than the destination then by all means DIY!
Old 3rd April 2011, 02:11 AM   #7
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Take the maggies ...........
Old 3rd April 2011, 03:36 AM   #8
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

Magnepans are not "very high quality". They are tonal bland, have no real dynamics , truly artificial nonhuman sonics-. Just sound equivalent of poridge.
Old 3rd April 2011, 05:13 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by limono View Post
Magnepans are not "very high quality". They are tonal bland, have no real dynamics , truly artificial nonhuman sonics-. Just sound equivalent of poridge.
Wow. I could not disagree more.
Old 3rd April 2011, 05:16 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
I have heard ESL's and also magnepans, and compared to the ESL's or normal speakers the mangnepans did not suffer a sweet-spot problem in the room I listened to them.
I phrased that the wrong way. My "problem" with the Magnepans is that when I have them positioned in certain ways, the sweet spot is so glorious that I can barely stand to not be positioned precisely in it.

Last edited by gootee; 3rd April 2011 at 05:23 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!