diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   Why NOT build the PE Usher 701 kit ? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/185955-why-not-build-pe-usher-701-kit.html)

percy 28th March 2011 03:23 PM

Why NOT build the PE Usher 701 kit ?

PE Usher 701 kit
It appears as if it doesn't get any better than this. These are top of the line drivers, professionally finished looking cabinets, its designed by a very well known name in the speaker design industry. Lots of bass in a bookshelf size! Reasonably priced. All you need is a screw driver.

Now I understand this defeats the purpose of true DIY but that aside are there any reasons why anyone would NOT build this kit ? As you might have guessed I am contemplating building this kit. Please advise.
Thanks.

kipman725 28th March 2011 05:34 PM

not big enough for me. 8" woofer. I use 10" woofers at the moment in a bedroom!

ferynov 28th March 2011 07:37 PM

nice kit and cheap ... if near in my country i will buy it ...:D

infinia 28th March 2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Please advise
Just Do It

design notes Parts Express DIY Project

PS for less vanilla style - PE offers this kit in curvy boxes Dayton Audio UA701CCK Usher Speaker Kit Curved Cherry

blue934 29th March 2011 01:08 AM

i built this design a few yrs ago. i really enjoy the woofer (fav so far of everything i have used) but there was a lot of hash around the crossover point, especially w/electric guitar. Jay Kim addressed this with a modded crossover. he dropped the crossover point, added a notch on the woofer and added BSC. this created a totally new package - very enjoyable. i think there are better designs using this woofer and the P version of it but the modded kit is still a good design. unfortunately Jay's site has been down for a yr. if you are interested, i can get you the documentation for the new crossover. he adds a few pieces to the stock version so the kit isn't wasted.

good luck
david

infinia 29th March 2011 01:36 AM

nahh I'll have to disagree about hash at the crossover. The stock design is well thought out and better than Jay's. I don't think jay ever measured a real design! all his stuff I've ever seen was only on simulated paper, on-axis. ask him yerself he admits this openly.
BTW The stock design has plenty of BSC (5-6dB) as I've analyzed it. The woofer in the stock design uses a concave dustcap on purpose, ie for the crossover off-axis acoustic performance it's part of the total crossover design. Jay seems to miss this fact by choosing to substitute the P version. I emailed him about this and it still didn't sink in.
I wonder what Jay was selling? I find it hard to believe he is claiming his design is better than the Man's.

blue934 29th March 2011 04:33 AM

well, i'm not going to argue the details, but i've built both designs and i preferred Jay's.

david

percy 29th March 2011 01:02 PM

I was eyeing the curved cabinet as well, but more for function than form. If the benefits of a curved cab are real(audible) then I will go for it.

I'd much prefer the 'A' version over the 'P' version. Its not intuitive but if you play around with the box modeling a bit you will realize that the A version has exactly the same low end response as the P version, but only with less distortion, more power handling and more xmax. The 'default' or initial model that most popular box modeling applications arrive at mislead you into thinking the P version has more low end response than the A version. Atleast thats what I think.

Alex M 29th March 2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinia (Post 2519672)
Just Do It

design notes Parts Express DIY Project

I'm sure that this has been commented on before, but Usher's drivers look very much like those in certain Scan Speak ranges (and they don't seem to have tried hard in thinking up driver model numbers either).

For instance, the USHER 9930-20 1" TEXTILE DOME TWEETER looks rather like the Scan D2905-9300, while the USHER 8945A 7" CARBON FIBER/PAPER WOOFER also rminds me strongly of the 18W/4545.

Is there any formal relation between Usher and Scan, or are the former a less than subtle rip=off?

Alex

infinia 29th March 2011 01:41 PM

Yes the bass should be the same in identical alignments. The P (pole peice) version woofer does have its advantages. IMO slightly less distortion and maybe a little less compression due to better VC cooling.