where to buy morel in Australia?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to get morel drivers in Australia? Specifically MDT30's

Google turns up a few places that sell Car Audio, but nothing for Home HI-FI.

I saw an article a year or so back about some Paget speakers which said Paget was the Australian distributer, but I haven't managed to track them down.

A freind told me that Krix use morel, but I'm not sure about approaching them, since they aren't in the business of selling drivers.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Pays to check regularly obviously :) ..... Last time I looked they didn't have an Australian Distributor listed (that was probably more than six months ago though).

Thanks dhfreakie, I'll make sure I've done recent research in future before asking :)

waits in anticipation after sending off an email enquiring about tweeters :devilr:

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks Andrew,

I sent off an email to rmaudio, but after I did I checked their web site, and it looks like they may only distribute car audio, and morel home theater packages (and they don't sell to the public). I guess I'll find out if they reply to my email!

So I think I'll do a whitepages search on Challenge HIFI.

I think I have become too reliant on finding things using the net, if it's not on the net It doesn't exist (in my universe).

Yes have read a few reviews of Duntech's with MDT30's in them one of the things that has swayed me to them (appart from power handling, and the existance of a shielded version, should I decide to ever venture into Home Theater).

Regards,

Wintermute.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
if not for repair dont bother

Hello,

If it is not for repair dont bother with MDT 30. It needs a supertweeter because it sounds dead in room above 4-5 khz due to little side dispersion. Worse than 1'' Scanspeaks.
It is very clear and dynamic though from as low as 1.5 Khz and it is great for combining with an 8''.
If you can use a cheap Audax 10F1 as a supertweeter you gonna be happy.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: if not for repair dont bother

Brett said:

Ring and ask them who they buy them from. You're not a competitor and approached respectfully, I've found most people to be really helpful with information requests.

Yeah I guess I don't have anything to loose. Worth a shot.

salas said:
Hello,

If it is not for repair dont bother with MDT 30. It needs a supertweeter because it sounds dead in room above 4-5 khz due to little side dispersion. Worse than 1'' Scanspeaks.
It is very clear and dynamic though from as low as 1.5 Khz and it is great for combining with an 8''.
If you can use a cheap Audax 10F1 as a supertweeter you gonna be happy.

Interesting comment salas, is it possible that the implementation was the problem and not actually the tweeters? I have read two reviews of Duntech speakers using morel mdt30 or mdt32 tweeters which claim they are nothing short of stunning.

http://www.duntech.com.au/media/opal/australian_hifi_october_1998.html

http://www.duntech.com.au/media/esquire/best-buy-d100.html

Unfortunately both of those reviews are "re-displayed" on Duntechs web site, but I do seem to recall having seen the orginals.

Not having heard any MDT30's myself though, I'm not really in a position to comment.

One thing I will say though is that I'm definitely not a metal tweeter person, much prefer textile dome.

Regards,

Wintermute.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I think they like them in the context of monitoring.
They play really loud in mid field in studios.
The moderate hf energy dispersion is easier to the ear when listening @105-110 dBSPL.
There is a new Audax neodymium textile Tweeter called TW025A26. I have used it recently and it has great air and dynamics. It achieves 95 dBSPL 1W/1m. So you can have output to spare for shaping it as you like. The Morel is a direct copy of the Dynaudio (the Morel boss used to work for them) and it dates back 25 years as a design. I have been very copious with it because I like its mids, clarity & dynamics. However you use it it will remain relatively dumb in the hf sense of air. Especially in spaces over 25 sq. metres with furniture and no diffusers.

Regards

Salas

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks Salas,

I was wondering last night whether you were referring to the tweeters being very directional (ie not so good off axis) but you have cleared it up for me (I think :) ). I'll definitely check out the TW025A26 too, thanks.

At 95db I would have heaps to work with for shaping! My woofers are only 88.5 DB.....

By the way for anyone interested, I got a response back from RM Audio as below

Thank you for your email.
Raw drivers, such as you are after, are actually handled by a different company.

Paget Loud Speakers aac@rbe.net.au is the company in Australia who imports all the raw drivers for resale, RM Audio only handles finished systems
for Morel in Australia and New Zealand.

I have sent an email to aac@rbe.net.au (had done before posting) but have not yet received a response as yet (I tried once before about 6 months ago too, and didn't get a response, but there was some problems with our mail server at the time, so they may have tried and got a bounce).

Salas, any comments on MDT33's?? Same deal??

I don't really think I want to stretch my luck trying to build a 4 way system! I must admit that freq response curves I have seen of the MDT30's do look like they drop off quite a bit after 10KHz.

I guess one last question is, have you used MDT 30 or MDT 30-S (morel Israel) I find it annoying that the don't have any freq plots on their web site, though they claim that they extend to 25Khz.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello again,

MDT 30 is the one I use in one of my speakers (relegated to a small room duty).
MDT33 is better. It takes the uphill path when on a baffle. If you dont compensate too much and leave it following the rising trend moderately, its total in room energy will appear livelier. Such a trick you may see in Duntech review charts too with Morels. I think the 33 is overpriced though.
And here is a photo of 2 Audaxes I find very good for their qualities and price. A20 is the metal, A26 is the cloth.

Regards

Salas

Attachments

• a20-a26small.jpg
    a20-a26small.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 177
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks again Salas, they look nice.

I think we have got quite a bit off topic here, so will call it a day while I do some more research :)

If I have any more questions I'll start up a new thread.

BTW I got a helpfull reply from Terry Paget of paget loudspeakers and they do sell morel drivers if I decide to go that way, so for anyone in Aus trying to track down morel drivers you can contact them on the address I posted before.

Yes the MDT 33's are on the pricey side certainly a lot more than my humble phillips tweeters which were about $35aus each :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.