How to clean Morel sticky Tweeters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello
To me it sound more open, definitely it goes higher, I like the result.
At first I clean done the sticky stuff half of it and I painted normal pain. It was a bit dull
After I clean done again all the paint, sticky stuff only I see the silk with lot of small holes how it was woven.
Second time I used paint thinner half-half paint. I put on just a thine coat to cover the holes.
Now a bit sound like a ribbon tweeter or some metallic dome tweeter but not as harsh.
I hate metal dome tweeters!
I just did on one tweeter so I can com pare it.
Probably I will put one more thin coat because now the sound to open all do not bad at all! A bit to much small (particle)sound I can hear what I do not hear on the orig
Don't forget if your tweeter got dusty and the membrane dried out it does not sound like the new, that 100%! The frequency of the tweeter got messed up! These are great tweeters , I like them a lot.
Yes I see the replacement voice coils but you have to remove the plastic totally from the dome. Otherwise the coil does not goes the the right place.
These tweeter does not have that plastic you see on the replacement !
I open up one of my tweeter. By removing the dome you can easily damage it all .
I painted many tweeters , woofer in good result.
The tweeter same loud like another , same character , more openes, more sound, not bad at all.
I will do more tests. I would like to measure the distortion but I have no tools for that!
Greetings
Well sure, it's going to sound more "open" and different, you just removed the damping compound and replaced it with a hard substance. It's probably got a terrible frequency response now. You like it......okay. Just don't say it' meets original standards though.

my guess is morel had some reason for applying sticky stuff in the first place in spite of finding it was sticky.....

also doesnt mineral spirits dissolve/perish pretty much everything synthetic it touches eventually??

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.