Peerless 830883 HDS exclusive power handling?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could verify the RMS power handling of the peerless 830883's. Searing the web i've found ratings from 30W to 180W and all in between.

So, for anyone who's used these or got a data sheet actually specifying it, could you let me know?

Cheers
Dion

depends mostly on the box alignment and highpass filtering if any. Usually powering to Xmax is exceeded much earlier than thermal power limits. \ comparing thermal power ratings between raw drivers is dubious at best.
edit> Higher powers are reached by larger voice coil diameters, construction, and cooling details, by that time you are usually into power compression or more distortion anyway.

Last edited:
ah it will be crossed at 80-100 and about 3k
im not actually sure what Xmax is? i guess i should look into that, but as general guide for their power capabilities, do you they would be able to take the 150W that some sites are claiming or not? ie, more like 100W

thanks

play with some box modeling software that shows voice coil displacement X vs frequency. They usually allow you to add a highpass filter. Xmax is when the voice coil wire starts to go beyond control of the magnetic gap. Xmech is when the voice coil former contacts or reaches mechanical stops, permanent damage sometimes occurs here.

830883 Specifications: *Power handling: 30 watts (IEC 2685 18.1) *VCdia: 1-1/4" *Le: 1.1 mH *Impedance: 8 ohms *Re: 5.7 ohms *Frequency response: 42-6,500 Hz *Fs: 42 Hz *SPL: 87.8 dB 2.83V/1m *Vas: 0.77 cu. ft. *Qms: 2.41 *Qes: 0.42 *Qts: 0.36 *Xmax: 5.62 mm *Dimensions: Overall diameter 7.18", 6.7" across flats, Cutout diameter 5.75", Depth 3.25".

Last edited:
ohk this is the setup: (all crossovers active, thus tri-amping)

1 Fahrenheit 15" subwoofer (as far as i know its an unknown brand but i got it cheap, $50, and took a gamble. i seams to have paid off, sounds nice etc.)

crossover at 80-100hz

2 bass/midrange drivers. here im thinking the 830883's

active cross about 3kHz i guess

2 tweeters, undecided yet

at the moment all are planned to be powered from LM3886 amp boards due to their quality :)

I was also considering using the following as it is class D and will run cooler.
although it can reach 100W per channel its 10% THD. however, running it at 70W (0.005% THD) per channel and bridging it into an 8 ohm speakers seams good.

Class D amp
thoughts?

Dion

PS
this is the class A or AB everything was planned to run on so far:
LM3886

Last edited:
Dion,
I can tell you for certain that you won't use anywhere near 70 Watts for one driver in an active three way system. I have an active three way using an 8", 5 1/4" and 25mm and the transformer I use is rated at 160VA. When it is at about half volume, the guy in the next street can hear it fairly clearly so, unless you have cast iron ears, you won't use power that high.

I am in Port Melbourne, so if you are in Melbourne, you are quite welcome to have an inspection and listen.

Frank

Frank, basically im trying to kill 2 birds with one stone, ie. general usage stuff and occasionally music for parties. the reason i wan to them to take high power is so they can be turned up, without them getting permanent damage.
again the bridged amp into the 8 ohm can only physically put out 135 watt. so say 110 to 125 watt RMS would be the maximum (assuming they can handle the volume).
Im going to guess your going to say that thats to loud but either way, do you think the 830883's will take 130W music style power or if you think theirs definitely a better option?

cheers
Dion

Dion,
If you are tri-amping, you WON'T need to use that much power to an individual driver. There won't be any losses in a passive cross-over to worry about plus you won't be dividing the power of an amp between three drivers.
I use;
8" Peerless 830869
51/4" Peerless 832873
1" Vifa very old
tri-amped with LM3886 for all and bridged on the woofer.
I repeat the offer; if you are Melbourne, you are welcome to have the cobwebs blown out of your ears with my speakers to hear how loud they can be. If you used mine at a party, no one would hear themselves think, let alone hear what someone else is saying.

Frank

you are welcome to have the cobwebs blown out of your ears with my speakers to hear how loud they can be. If you used mine at a party, no one would hear themselves think, let alone hear what someone else is saying.

Frank

Hi
that's the typical description of a system under high distortion. I would think the mid amps are clipping 1st, with small mid drivers around 86dB/m sensitivity. I think it's more important to have extra gain pwr overhead so you never reach compression.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.