type of port for vented box - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2012, 12:16 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Have a search for the Eminence Designer software. It comes with a bunch of TSPs for Eminence drivers, but works as well with any speaker of which you've got the TSPs.

Good luck!
Old 29th October 2016, 01:26 PM   #22
yoke is offline yoke  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Hi, I know this is old tread, but, does any one have any opinion about using cardboard tube from printer paper in role

would it be better, worse or it doesn't meter compered to plastic tubes ?

I can't find 5cm commercial plastic bas reflex tube, near me, but have those in my hand

but I can order them so it's not crucial for me to use cardboard tubes but as I have tham, I tought to use them...

But at the and I would like to use the best possible I can, so If the plastic is better than cardboard I will order them

thanks

here is the picture of what I have

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by yoke; 29th October 2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 29th October 2016, 02:24 PM   #23
Sonce is offline Sonce  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

It doesn't matter, if the tubes are straight. Some plastic tubes have flared both ends, and they are better.
Old 30th October 2016, 07:03 PM   #24
yoke is offline yoke  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonce View Post
It doesn't matter, if the tubes are straight. Some plastic tubes have flared both ends, and they are better.
Thanks Sonce for replay...
I can "flared" cabinet at the port end with router...
Old 30th October 2016, 09:41 PM   #25
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

FWIW, in doing velocity stack research for carbs, injectors many decades ago we found that until the flare radius = pipe radius, which doubles the effective pipe area [(Av1*Av2)^0.5], that they were basically just cosmetic, so best to design based on a low vent mach.

10% is listed on Collos's site, but 5% and even as low as 3.5% with some alignments is more realistic with today's [super] high power handling [sub]woofers.

Another option is to cut the pipe at a 45 deg or steeper angle on both ends to create a larger oval termination, though of course a real 'pain' if one doesn't have the tools [or at least the patience] to angle cut the baffle.

GM
Old 31st October 2016, 02:25 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Also if the port becomes too long for the box, you can put two or more ports of a smaller diameter and length to achieve the same result.
Old 9th November 2016, 05:04 PM   #27
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

If the box has enough net cubic volume, you can use ABS plumping pipe for which 45 and 90dg fittings are available to fold the port - then there was that clever Fostex design (FE167E) in which the port was integrated into the floorstand.
http://fostexinternational.com/docs/...7e_enclrev.pdf

Hide this!Advertise here!