No love for the Zaph Audio SB 12.3? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2011, 03:19 PM   #1
Dkalsi is offline Dkalsi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default No love for the Zaph Audio SB 12.3?

I'm thinking hard about the Zaph Audio SB 12.3 - but have not been able to find any reviews on them?

I would say its definitely a speaker that does not get built often and is by no means popular within the DIY community - its hardly even discussed. - any particular reason? Are their better options for that price?
Old 21st March 2011, 05:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I bet they sound great.

I'm curious how they sound compared to the classic Acoustic Research AR9s, as those are my only experience with really big, high output speakers. Both are monsters but I'm curious if anyone with some technical expertise can detail if Zaph's design has advantages or is flat out superior in anyway to the ARs.
Old 21st March 2011, 06:42 PM   #3
Dkalsi is offline Dkalsi  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChestofFur View Post
I bet they sound great.

I'm curious how they sound compared to the classic Acoustic Research AR9s, as those are my only experience with really big, high output speakers. Both are monsters but I'm curious if anyone with some technical expertise can detail if Zaph's design has advantages or is flat out superior in anyway to the ARs.
I'm sure they sound great as well. I really liked Zaph's SR71 (now sold). Just wanted to try something a little bigger and my budget is $1000+/-. These (SB 12.3) came up while I was browsing for DIY kits - but there are no user comments out there about them - hence, thats the only reason why I have not purchased the kit already. Maybe I'm missing something?
Old 13th April 2011, 01:37 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Zaphs 12.3

This is an old thread, but I am committed to building the 12.3's. Lumber has been procured.
Old 13th April 2011, 03:47 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkalsi View Post
... Maybe I'm missing something?
WAF !
Old 14th April 2011, 02:52 AM   #6
robots is offline robots  Canada
diyAudio Member

the set that Zaph made look amazing. his building skills are jaw dropping.

i would really love to build a pair. i look forward to seeing your project basshunter!
Old 14th August 2011, 09:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Well, here it is August and I'm finally making some headway on my Zaph 12.3's. I have built these speakers in my head at least a hundred times. It helps me drift off to sleep. Anyway, all the pieces are cut to dimension, and the holes have been routed out for the speakers. I did a dry assembly and all is fitting well. I complicated the construction process by rabetting all the joints making for a very tight seal and strong construction. I had to adjust all the dimensions to accommodate the rabett joints. I'm using 3/4" baltic birch for all except the front panel and the bottom of the box. For those pieces, I had originally found some 1" oak plywood, but didn't like it, seemed too light weight. I found a 1 1/8" thick particle board sold as a shop bench top at my local DIY. I have a pair of KLH 5's that I bought new in 1972 that are constructed entirely of particle board. They are almost 40 years old and still sound wonderful (new caps and sealed). I would not build anything with drywall (MDF) again. The plan is to veneer the finished assembly. I will post more as I progress.

Last edited by Basshunter; 14th August 2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 15th September 2011, 04:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Basshunter, how's it going?
I've been interested in this design for a while, it's received little attention due to a variety of reasons. I'd certainly appreciate some photos of your progress, everyone enjoys a good "building thread".
Old 21st November 2011, 07:30 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Basshunter, any update on your Zaph 12.3 kit? I'm looking forward to your impressions on it when you're done. I've been interested in this design for a year and I'm surprised that there's really no review info out there yet.
Old 21st November 2011, 08:16 PM   #10
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks like a bodacious speaker, gonna be keeping an eye on this thread.

Hide this!Advertise here!