Lomo KINAP 1A22 compression Drivers. Anyone tried them?

Some have metal diaphragms most have nonmetallic possibly plastic and the early ones seem to have paper. These are the ones that interest me. Searching but not one forum post about sound quality. In English anyway. Can anyone help? I am tempted to buy a pair. I looking for a warm tone. Someone said there good for 600 to 12k someone said 1k to 12k. Lots showing up on the Russian Ukrainian ebay markets cheap.

Last edited:
1a22

Some have metal diaphragms most have nonmetallic possibly plastic and the early ones seem to have paper. These are the ones that interest me. Searching but not one forum post about sound quality. In English anyway. Can anyone help? I am tempted to buy a pair. I looking for a warm tone. Someone said there good for 600 to 12k someone said 1k to 12k. Lots showing up on the Russian Ukrainian ebay markets cheap.

I'm not sure which diaphragms did we measured , but they were flat and OK' from 1770hz to 15-16khz.

yes.
in standard aluminum horns that they should use. throat and everything else looks similar as a TAD.
they have a peak around 1700hz, but otherwise is pretty flat. No that much 'air'. about sound quality -is hard to say now. Was 5 years ago. It was not bad at all, but was not something remarkable also. considering the price -they worse it. huge alnico. you can play with diaphragms. I use to have 50 of them brand new. that's the only driver which is interesting from all Kinap.

Reactions: 1 user
May be too lait but I hope to be usefull for someone...

Standard aluminum horn looks well, but horn begining (~first 60mm from throat inside the magnet) is slightly terrible - most horn frequency is near 400 Hz, but first segment after phase plug expanding too fast - ~from 16 to 28mm at 40mm long - it looks like 800 Hz horn segment, not 400 One! So I use alliminium sleeve to fix this shape and made ~20mm output hole, so I use double-flanged taper to make whole horn shape well:
img_0001.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Phase plugs I have are strange too - I made area in difference between cone hole and phase plage more constant increasing plug's tail:
img_0002.jpg

These mods I use with silk diaphragms and paper-based 25 Ohms coil from here - ????? ?????????? ?? ???? — ??? "????????"®.

Channel mod decreased lower frequence down to ~500 Hz and in increased SPL a little bit; upper frequence is ~10000 due to silk limitation.

May be too lait but I hope to be usefull for someone...

Standard aluminum horn looks well, but horn begining (~first 60mm from throat inside the magnet) is slightly terrible - most horn frequency is near 400 Hz, but first segment after phase plug expanding too fast - ~from 16 to 28mm at 40mm long - it looks like 800 Hz horn segment, not 400 One! So I use alliminium sleeve to fix this shape and made ~20mm output hole, so I use double-flanged taper to make whole horn shape well:
img_0001.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
[/URL]

Phase plugs I have are strange too - I made area in difference between cone hole and phase plage more constant increasing plug's tail:
img_0002.jpg

These mods I use with silk diaphragms and paper-based 25 Ohms coil from here - ????? ?????????? ?? ???? ??? "????????"®.

Channel mod decreased lower frequence down to ~500 Hz and in increased SPL a little bit; upper frequence is ~10000 due to silk limitation.
Can you tell me more about these mods? How good are the drivers without mods? I am looking for a cd that is smooth and plays linear from 500hz