baffle diffraction correction and crossover network.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am designing satellite speakers. this has one tweeter, mid woofer.
I mid woofer is 4 Ohms. so I designed crossover to suit 4Ohms driver. Now the upper cut off is at 3.5KHz and lower is 100Hz. Baffle diffraction correction is at 1 KHz. now my problem is, if I connect correction circuit between driver and crossover filter. Then the impedance of driver seen by crossover is frequency dependent. So this might lead to improper functioning of crossover filter.

Am I right? What Do I do ?

A loudspeaker x-over network is always frequency dependent. A loudspeaker is not a resistive load.
Besides that you have to take into account that there is no speaker with a perfect frequency response. So a theoretical calculation, based on a 4 ohm resistive load will yield results far from reality.

Assuming I understand what you're doing....

Let's say you have a plexiglass tube, 3" x 12". You want to fill it 1/2 full of yellow water and 1/6 full of red water. Your questions equates to saying, "After I pour in the yellow water and start pouring in the red water, it mixes and makes orange, so I can't see how much red water I've added."

You can't "stack" passive filter sections. The inductor in your crossover will combine with the inductor in your baffle correction circuit and you'll get one roll-off, not two.

@ Mr. Keriwena ,Have a look at the diagram attached, and try to understand the difference. ignore the value of components.

Attachments

• Difference.png
    Difference.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 186
Rod has put a lot good words on Baffle Step Compensation (BSC). Rather I say he has put lot of explanation on Audio. His site is one of my favorite bookmark. :)

I am looking for a deeper explanation. A simple question for you, which two sides would you use? so would say other two sides ( of four sides) has no effect on BSC ?

I got some link more on BSC. read it too.

I use Edge for deeper calculations.
Still the actual curves are nearly same. I wont say you strictly need Edge. but its better.

Considering your original question, what I was hoping you'd pick up from Ron's page was that the best place for baffle step EQ is before the power amp. That way the amp acts as a buffer, and prevents interaction between the BS EQ and your Xover components. In other words, yes, you are right, and I think this is what you should do. ;)

And his other worthy point is "room gain" often counteracts the baffle step problem to a great extent. That's why he made his EQ adjustable. In my rather small room, I haven't seen any baffle step in my measurements.

Hi there,
I am designing some speakers for outside use, and the article you lot have been discussing is a very interesting one indeed.
My question is that what you are using a very displaced-from-centre driver(as with most boomboxes) how do you measure the baffle width ?, distance to the nearest edge ? overall baffle width regardless of positioning? does the distance or width vertically matter ?

Thanks for the help

polop welcome to the thread,

Well, I would advice you to check if people really go for BS EQ for system which is played outside. I do not have any experience of Loudspeakers for outdoor use.

But if to carry on discussion with your queries, the BS calculation are made on exact positioning of driver (not necessary center)

Check my post No.10 you will find link for Edge software. It perfectly calculates everything needed.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.