Do you need a crossover/filter for a sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

You might know I'm working on an LM3886 Stereo amp. I'm a bit antsy you see...

While I'm in the amplifier/speaker building mode. Does anyone actually use a filter for a subwoofer? Is it worth it I mean?

EVENTUALLY, I'd like to get one of those nice 8" HiVi M8a's. Eventually...that is.

Also, is there a special type of amp required? Are 2x bridged LM3886s not good?

Thanks a bunch. Just out of curiosity.

Last edited:
Yes, still. if not the sub will sound poor.

You could use a PLLXO, a passive crossover (more expensive), or an active crossover 9even more $$)

If in doubt you can try it without a crossover, shouldn't hurt anything, but most subs are designed to only play on the lower end.

N-Brock

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Do you want your sub/s to be reproducing midrange? Apart from hearing it, if it/they are not close to your mains then you may end up with cancellations (comb filtering).

Unless you build bandpass subs which have inherent physical low pass filtering.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
If I assume by your reply that you are keen to get on with it, a simple inductor with the speaker lead will get you started, and maybe a well chosen electrolytic capacitor across the speaker terminals to go with it. No big deal until you want to start getting exact.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.