Waveguide shootout - part 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What I don't see here and didn't see much off with Zilch's stuff was the integration of the WG with a woofer (i.e. a complete FR that includes the xo point). I did one of his WG mods on a KLH 17 and struggled with the xo. Even Zilch admitted to me privately this as a problem.
Thoughts?
I think I probably have thoughts, but I don't understand what you are referring to.

Moray,
The horn looks good, throat transition seems smooth.
Saw your inquiries on AA also.
Having tackled making passive crossovers for various HF drivers, I would not attempt it without the horn/driver available for actual testing.

For instance, the CD compensation used in DJK's example for a JBL 2426 will not work well with a Eminence PSD 2002 (believe me, I tried:eek:), though the concept is valid, the values need to be quite different to arrive at the same target FR.

Just finished making crossovers for four monitors, three used Eminence PSD 2002 type one diaphragms (no longer available) and one type 2 diaphragm.
Eminence never changed the driver model number, but the response is very different, it would be nearly impossible to match the two drivers with different diaphragms passively.

I have little experience with Pyle, but cheap drivers tend to have different unit to unit response, another reason published specs, even if available in the detail needed to design a crossover, would still not insure the proper response.

Art

wide-vs-narrow8.jpg

Here's the response curve of the PH12S, driven by a JBL 2408H-1, and with a bit of clay to clean up the gap between the compression driver and horn. (The Pyle has an atrocious 'step' between driver and horn.) This curve has some EQ and a crossover to get the response close to flat.

More data here : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/247744-wide-angle-vs-narrow-angle-horns.html#post3746199

How are you liking the 2408?

To my ears, it sounds no different than the CDX1-1425 or the BMS 4540ND. I tend to use the Celestion for a lot of projects because it's very affordable, but that was back before the price of neodymium went through the roof. (Five years ago the BMS was $120 and the Celestion was $35; now they're $150, $95 and $109.)

I need to measure the 4540ND and the 2408H-1 on the same horn; that should help me figure out if the changes to the phase plug make much of a difference.

The 2408H-1 seems to be the best bang for the buck of the bunch; it's noticeably 'beefier' than the other two. Earlier today I accidentally ran it without a crossover for a couple of hours and it didn't sound stressed in the least.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.