Any DIY Speaker Builders in MD/DC/VA - Need $1000 DIY Speaker Recommedation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I am looking to build a speaker with a proven design and I was hoping there would be DIY speaker enthusiasts in the MD/DC/VA area that would allow me to come audition a pair of speakers they may have built. I've read quite of few "newbie" threads looking for DIY speaker suggestions here - and I was overwhelmed by the number of good options available. Thus, I thought it may be best if I actually go out and listen to few designs before selecting one that will best for my selection of music.

My budget is $1000 (excluding cost to construct the cabinet). I was actually thinking about Zaph|Audio SB12.3, but am just as open to other designs. I do prefer full range speakers though (or some seriously capable monitors). I used to own a pair of SR-71s and although I was really really really pleased with them, I missed having the full range sound that only a large floor-stander speaker can deliver. I haven't tried any of Troels Gravese's designs, but have always herd good things about his designs - I also love the fact that they are well documented.

These will be used strictly for 2-channel music and will be more than likely used (for the time being) with a Scott 296 tube receiver. My expectations are realistic. I don't plan on building state-of-the-art 2-channel music system with these speakers. I just want to building a decent speaker that I can mate with my Scott 296.

Any suggestions/recommendations will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
D

Here's one I would build. I don't know how well your amplifier performs so it's tough to really suggest anything in all honesty. Do you have any measurements of it?

I'm sorry, but I do not have any measurements for the Scott 296. The unit was fully refurbished by Craig Ostby of NOSValves approximately 2-years ago. I believe it is 40 WPC.

In regards to the link you posted, did the the designer include drawings of the cabinet? (-I may have totally missed it).

In regards to the link you posted, did the the designer include drawings of the cabinet? (-I may have totally missed it).

You can try contacting him to see if he ever designed a cabinet. That particular design was more of a "budget plop-in" for the Seas Thor, which is why he said the transmission line may be slightly long:

WPC is one thing, but I'd be concerned about the linear response and output impedance of the amp. If an amp is invariably messing with a speaker's sound, then you may never actually hear the speaker. That's why I'm unsure of what you could build, because most speakers are not designed to be altered by electronics. Perhaps it's a perfectly fine amp on that note though. I don't know.

Last edited:
The Scott, properly biased, will be fine. It will give a linear response when combined with any competently designed loudspeaker. If the loudspeaker has wildly varying impedance and reactance, find another design.

Does the impedance / phase profile on the speaker I suggested seems appropriate? I'm really unsure when it comes to tubes... never messed with em and never will.

Last edited:
The Scott 296 should be full functional to my knowledge (-at least I hope so since I spent nearly $700 getting it refurbished - maybe I got ripped off but it doesn't matter now). I believe the Scott 296 also has outputs for 4ohm, 8ohm, and 16ohm speakers - I don't know if that helps anything. The Scott was previously hooked up to a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls and the combination was excellent. I know I can easily pick up a pair of Cornwalls for much less than $1,000 - but I would love to try something different and wish to pursue the DIY route. Again, I am not really technically competent and 9/10 times I just buy whatever is popular (i.e., jump on th band wangon). I can however copy a well documented design (I know thats not saying much).

My building experience includes: Zaph HiVi 3" fullrange, Paul C.'s Overnight Sensations, and JBL 4345 Studio Monitor clones (currently being used in my main "hifi" system).

Josh,

I look forward to you moving to the area. Please keep me posted....hopefully we can meet up.

-Dhar

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.