OZ DIY :: Sydney/Newcastle ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
over in the US...

... they have yearly gatherings , sort of show and tell events in several different locations. Their numbers are such that they can have up to 20 or so at some places. It started out as DIY loudspeakers, but now other stuff is making its way to these events.
To give you some idea, this year Seigfried Linkwitz attended one with his "Orions" and sort of showed everyone what sound really is ;)

I don't think we would have a quorum of DIY Loudspeaker builders, but a general 'show and tell' get-together could be organised.

Hi andy, when yu planning to get down Canberra way again?

who knows, if it's after october then I might finally have a system to show you.

Usual story, preamp, phono amp, speakers arm and TT under construction.

And you just GOTTA see the size no object constructions that pat has produced lately. Big amp order for a guy in the states...

supa roo, where are you?
I'm in sunny palmerston.

drew

What cookin?

Choke plate-loaded triode-connected EL84 preamp single stage zero feedback.

Single opamp based AD797 MC Phono stage with caddocks and Auricaps,

Garrard 401 in Tas Oak and Corian plinth with DIY sapphire bearing unipivot brass/rosewood tonearm

Fostex FE168 sigma reflex cabs

Plus a little Lancaster bomber that I've been working on for the last 3&1/2 years. 1:1 scale.

Nearly finished now, just putting it on its display stand this week.

:)

That's used up alot of my recent project time.

Waiting for holidays...

Drew

Just lil (104ft wingspan) old "G for George" from the Australian War Memorial.

It's been my task at work for the last 3.5 yrs. Get it clean, get it repaired, get it chemically stable, get it painted correctly, get it put back together again. No biggie...

George is finally back on display in Anzac Hall at the back of the AWM after being removed from display in 1999.

Umm, this thread is kind of turning into an Andy and Andy conversation.

P'raps better head back to loudspeakers again.

'pologies for the tangential threadjack...

...but then, it's your thread, I guess you can do what you like with it.

Drew

DrewP said:
Just lil (104ft wingspan) old "G for George" from the Australian War Memorial.

It's been my task at work for the last 3.5 yrs. Get it clean, get it repaired, get it chemically stable, get it painted correctly, get it put back together again. No biggie...

George is finally back on display in Anzac Hall at the back of the AWM after being removed from display in 1999.

Umm, this thread is kind of turning into an Andy and Andy conversation.

P'raps better head back to loudspeakers again.

'pologies for the tangential threadjack...

No apologies neccessary. Now I have an excuse to visit Canberra ; I'd like to see George, as I never managed to before it was removed from display.

I guess I'm kinda biased but it's a huge improvement.

Looks far more like the real thing and lots less like a model kit than it used to.

Plus, we know that it's chemically stable for another 50 years or so.

And I got to learn how to do canvas/nitrate dope aircraft fabric.

Not our regular kind of DIY.

drew

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.