What Driver and Passive Radiator? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd August 2003, 09:20 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

You would be better off asking an Adire dealer in your area for a price:

http://www.adireaudio.com/dealers/dealers.htm

From what i know the Brahma 12" is $US449 and the 15" is $US499.

They would be great for spl shootouts but for HT you can't beat a tempest, thats only my opinion though.

What amp are you thinking about?
Old 3rd August 2003, 06:23 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to ArthurSoares
Dunno yet, i'll be probably buying some P.A. depending on the Driver will change the model I Want some headroom!
Old 3rd August 2003, 10:10 PM   #13
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

>Its totally awesome.. 110dB@16Hz .. LOL that's Evil! But how much one of these cost?

====

Actually, it's officially 114dB/16Hz, but that's its continuous rating. Peak is ~121dB/16hz, and I was using two. They were $3k some years ago. I was fortunate and got mine as basic kits and used lower resistance surplus motors for considerably less, but they're not offered anymore. I have an old frame house with very early drywall, and organ music, special effects CDs literally tore my house apart. I'm still doing repairs. When I needed some $$ I sold them.

====

>That driver reaches high spl at low frequencies from what I could figure the price that the AdireAudio offers, is it updated? Would it be a reasonable driver for an HT sistem? The manual suggested building a 5ft^3 ported box and fB in 20hz for Hometheater, it showed flat response.. bottom down to 20hz. P-r-e-t-t-y Amazing..

>Dunno yet, i'll be probably buying some P.A. depending on the Driver will change the model I Want some headroom!

====

Like I suggested, browse the Adire and Stryke sites for sub drivers. If the prices are acceptable and you're willing to install a dedicated outlet for a 5kW amp, then the 15" Brahma in ~5.83ft^3 net/16Hz cab should do HT, organs, and most special effects CDs at damaging levels. On paper, it will take two Tempests in ~26ft^3 net to match it.

Just looking at the specs of your locally available drivers, the higher Q ones should work, but due to their relatively low Xmax will require four of them to get serious SPLs down low.

GM
Old 4th August 2003, 01:05 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
>Its totally awesome.. 110dB@16Hz .. LOL that's Evil! But how much one of these cost?

====

Actually, it's officially 114dB/16Hz, but that's its continuous rating. Peak is ~121dB/16hz, and I was using two. They were $3k some years ago. I was fortunate and got mine as basic kits and used lower resistance surplus motors for considerably less, but they're not offered anymore. I have an old frame house with very early drywall, and organ music, special effects CDs literally tore my house apart. I'm still doing repairs. When I needed some $$ I sold them.

====

>That driver reaches high spl at low frequencies from what I could figure the price that the AdireAudio offers, is it updated? Would it be a reasonable driver for an HT sistem? The manual suggested building a 5ft^3 ported box and fB in 20hz for Hometheater, it showed flat response.. bottom down to 20hz. P-r-e-t-t-y Amazing..

>Dunno yet, i'll be probably buying some P.A. depending on the Driver will change the model I Want some headroom!

====

Like I suggested, browse the Adire and Stryke sites for sub drivers. If the prices are acceptable and you're willing to install a dedicated outlet for a 5kW amp, then the 15" Brahma in ~5.83ft^3 net/16Hz cab should do HT, organs, and most special effects CDs at damaging levels. On paper, it will take two Tempests in ~26ft^3 net to match it.

Just looking at the specs of your locally available drivers, the higher Q ones should work, but due to their relatively low Xmax will require four of them to get serious SPLs down low.

GM
Thanks for the info and reply, these are only early plans yet .. I'm not even in the US now.. I think that I'll start searching what Driver to buy in December/November.. or hopefully sooner
I Might be livin in Louisiana in US..
Old 4th August 2003, 08:20 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GM

........outlet for a 5kW amp...

GM [/B]

Subwoofer of mass destruction
Old 4th August 2003, 08:31 PM   #16
Eul is offline Eul  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

As far as I heard the Adrire Shiva whit a passive radiator acts beastly! High SPL’s at low frequency’s ( <25Hz). This is more than enough for a H(ome)T installation. I recently spoke someone who build a Adire Shiva in a closed box of about 80L and he told me that when he tested it the first time he had the volume so high that when he started his sweep he had the feeling he got blown away. Seriously now, it was so loud he couldn’t have more SPL because his ears got near the pain border.

I’ve heard a lot of good stories about it and in Holland it is getting to be a legend in the DIY world. One thing for sure, it is on my “things to do list”!
Old 4th August 2003, 09:43 PM   #17
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm very familiar the Shiva, and while a great bang/buck, in 80L sealed can't compete with the currently available sub drivers. I was part of the basslist group that got a list special on the original version, getting two plus two of the then just released 15" PRs. I installed all this into a Contrabass style design with the same Vb, and while it wasn't as powerful as the 'real deal', it was 'close enough' and at a fraction of the price. The tradeoff being a larger amp was required and a bit higher distortion when pushed, though still quite acceptable for all but the most critical listener.

Due to the bipole layout, vibration wasn't an issue of course, and like the Contrabass, construction was super simple, with minimal bracing using 3/4" 13ply Baltic Birch.

GM
Old 5th August 2003, 01:11 AM   #18
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Eul
As far as I heard the Adrire Shiva whit a passive radiator acts beastly! High SPL’s at low frequency’s ( <25Hz). This is more than enough for a H(ome)T installation... Seriously now, it was so loud he couldn’t have more SPL because his ears got near the pain border.

I’ve heard a lot of good stories about it and in Holland it is getting to be a legend in the DIY world. One thing for sure, it is on my “things to do list”!
You should know that there is another driver similar to the Shiva named the Eminence Lab 12. The Thiele-Small specs are very similar, with the following differences:

Instead of two 8 ohm voice coils, the Lab 12 has one 6 ohm voice coil. The Lab 12's Bl product is 50 % higher, due to the Lab 12's larger magnet. Fs of the two is about the same, but Vas of the Lab 12 is 20% less. The "voice coil overhang" is the same. Adire measures the Shiva's excursion another way, but the excursion is identical for both.

The Lab 12 is a bigger, heftier speaker with an aluminum cast frame. The Shiva is a stamped frame. In truth, however, I am by no means "sold" on the idea that a cast frame is better, even though you normally have to pay extra for them.

The Lab 12's price is slightly higher-about 40% more. However, Eminence has a distributor in Holland:
http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/em...nquiry/eur.htm

It should be noted that the Eminence dealer in England, BK electronics, sells all Eminence products at the same price we pay in the USA. Very possibly, the Eminence dealer in the Netherlands sells the same price. So you should not have the large differential between the American and the European price which exists so often.

Here is the link for BK Electronics anyway-they ship to other countries:
www.bkelec.com

Here is the spec sheet for the Lab12:
http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/em...ab12/lab12.htm

I am not saying necessarily to buy the Lab 12 instead of the Shiva. I am just letting you know there is a similar driver out there, at a fairly similar price, that might be more available to you and even cheaper if you must ship the Shiva from the USA.

By the way, I don't know anyone who has used the Lab 12. Maybe they are on other boards.

PS: By the way, BK Electronics was going to produce their own clone of the Shiva for £65, ($105, €92), but abandoned their plans because they figured that with the Lab 12, they would have 2 speakers similar to the Shiva. They told me this in an Email.
Old 5th August 2003, 02:05 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Thank u very much for all the info u brought to me.. According to my knowledge I just stand reading all these info. u gave to me.. as soon as I get some news about my plans to buy!..

Thank u guys .. You are being of so much help to me!
Old 5th August 2003, 03:19 AM   #20
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Anytime, Art.

By the way, Eminence has a distributor in Brazil, so you might be able to pick up the Lab 12 in your own country.

This page is the Brazil distributor. You can Email him to see if he has any dealers near you, (distributor is the man who supplies the dealers).

http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/em...y/sabrazil.htm

Hide this!Advertise here!