Round Tractrix Horn System almost complete...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,
I just finished my round tractrix horns and I'm very happy with them:

07310001.jpg

The round horns still need some stands to be able to move them further back, to be time aligned with the midbass and the x-over needs some modifications.

Maybe somebody has a few good ideas to share?

All speaker systems are DIY:
- Kipschhorn sub (far right)
- 150Hz tractrix midbass with EVM12L
- 320Hz round Tractrix with 2" Fostex D582
- Fane ST5022 Tweeter

If you like to see more information/pictures go here: My Hornspeaker related Homepage

You'll find there also information on how I build this system, some of my plans (Klipschhorn, Midbass etc.) and some interesting articles (B. Edgar).

Erik
:DVolvotreter:D

Hi Volvotreter,

Must say your horns looks very good :cool:

I just checked out your home page and was
very impressed with your home made lathe.
I have a small lathe in the basement myself,
but it's only big enough for small tweeter horns .
Your solution gives inspiration and ideas.

cheers ;)

Volvotreter said:
The round horns still need some stands to be able to move them further back, to be time aligned with the midbass and the x-over needs some modifications.

Maybe somebody has a few good ideas to share?
It looks amazing Erik. Many congratulations.

I'd be interested to hear about the vibration from the larger horns. Perhaps there's some exploration that could be done on the isolation/coupling of the round horns and the tweeters.

Re. the crossover, what problems are you having?

Are you saying that the larger horn covers the range from 150Hz to 320Hz where the round horn takes over? At what frequency does the 2" Fostex crossover to the Fane? Also, does the sub goes all the way up to 150Hz and if so, are there any problems with directionality at the higher end of this range? I imagine that the sub couples pretty well with the room.

Incidentally, I love the finish and colour-scheme.

Re: Re: Round Tractrix Horn System almost complete...

7V said:

I'd be interested to hear about the vibration from the larger horns. Perhaps there's some exploration that could be done on the isolation/coupling of the round horns and the tweeters.

The midbass horns are almost dead on the outside. The only panel I'm able to feel vibrations is the door of the backchamber (which is completely sealed from the rest of the enclosure).
But what you're saying is a good idea: I'll put some carpet underneath the stands of the round horns. Decoupling shall never be a bad idea.

Re. the crossover, what problems are you having?

I often read about oil caps with a little foil cap in paralel to them (like 1u + 0.1u). I don't have experience with oil caps. Are they worth a try?

Are you saying that the larger horn covers the range from 150Hz to 320Hz where the round horn takes over? At what frequency does the 2" Fostex crossover to the Fane? Also, does the sub goes all the way up to 150Hz and if so, are there any problems with directionality at the higher end of this range? I imagine that the sub couples pretty well with the room.

The midbass covers fc to 650Hz right now. I had a large choce (2mH, 2mm wire, no core) here, which I currently use. The 2" Fostex has a bandpass 650Hz/10KHz consisting from foil capacitors (the three pieces in front)and a little 0.15mH choce (behind the orange cap on the right).
The tweeter is connected via a 1u condenser (above the large choce, 1uF is giving 6dB attentuation @10KHz). The xover is pure 6dB/oct. design to avoid phase shifts.

The basic question was if somebody could suggest some modification to improve the xover.

Bruce Edgar for example uses a soft iron core choce. What kind of difference could that make?

Here's a picture of that ugly xover thing:

xover.jpg

And here's a scetch of the schematic:

xover.gif

TIA

Erik
:)Volvotreter:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.