First Build - Suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I would like to get into speaker building since I already build my amps and DACs but I'm not sure what would be a good value first build? I am a university student so I cannot afford spending too much, was looking at around 200-300$ for a pair, cheaper is better (but still good value).

So, my question is, I do not know where to start. I looked at Zaph's audio projects, would those be good for a start? My real problem is that I just don't really know how to build a cabinet, so I might be considering a kit, I just need help choosing one. Or I could learn how to build a cabinet and do it myself, I don't mind between those two.

So, please, help me?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Zaph's stuff certainly has a good rep. I personally don't see eye to eye with him. I feel that by far the best low cost bang for the buck projects are full range 1-way speakers.

As far as building boxes goes...

1/ you could choose a project that firs into a repurposed enclosure (plant pots or wooden boxes or bowls are popular -- i've even seen coffee cans and 2 litre pop bottles ised. There are also pre-built boxes from Madisound or Parts Express (i am at the moment working on a table of suggested alignments for these boxes for the Mark Audio driers). Bob at CSS might be able to save you some money & clearance hassles as he brings them into Canada,

2/ buy a flat-pak kit -- sort of like an Ikea thing (but a bit more, actually build as opposed to mechano assembly)

3/ dive in and build a box. You'll need some tools, and you might want to start with something simple. A small sealed box for instance (CHR-70 is good for that)

dave

Thanks for the replies.

who is bob at the css? I am new here and really dont know the common terms. Are the prebuilt cabinets from madisound or partsexpress any good?

Are there guides on how to build a cabinet myself?

And do you have any suggested build that I could look into? Looking to build something small, bookshelf style.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
who is bob at the css?

Bob is in Abbotsford, BC. He sells mostly stuff for speaker building. He has his own brand of really good woofers and has the EL70 made by Mark Audio -- my favorite budget full range (or rather my tweaked version --i take these drivers and match & modify them)

He has a forum here: CSS - diyAudio

And his website: Creative Sound Solutions - Loudspeakers, Parts and DIY Speaker Kits

Are the prebuilt cabinets from madisound or partsexpress any good?

The curved back PE cabinet is OK, not up to the level of build that we do for our prototypes but better than many home built MDF boxes (we don't use MDF). I have a pair of the smallest ones with Jordan JX92 here.

Are there guides on how to build a cabinet myself?

You'll find that there are a number of philosophies when it comes to building speaker boxes. I have strong feelings about this (based on doing it for 35+ years). Here is a thread where i defined & defended my techniques. It is a long read.

You should also look thru various build threads to see what people are doing step-by-step in building their cabinets.

And do you have any suggested build that I could look into? Looking to build something small, bookshelf style.

Here are some smallish booksheves i designed. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planet-10-hifi/154103-millisize-me.html (flat-paks are available for these)

There are 8 different drivers that can be fitted into these, including the EL70.

There are a number of others dotting the forum.

If you need smaller, http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/175056-martello-enclosure-fr88ex.html has been a hot thread recently, the same driver also fits into a version of the uFonken (and 2 fit into one of the milliSize boxes mentioned above)

There is a HUGE amount of information buried in the threads here...

dave

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I'll second a full-range project.

Not that designing a crossover would intimidate an amp builder (not that full range designs don't need electrical work, either) but crossovers are not necessarily a good thing anyway. However, listening to the higher frequencies through something larger than the ubiquitous tweeters which abound, is in my opinion a mandatory experience for a DIY speaker builder.

Plus, you'll get a quality unit with relative ease in construction.

Single driver full range systems are not my absolute, ultimate system but I use them everywhere else I need speakers....garage, computer, at work, bedroom etc.

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Whilst on the subject, here's a little something I'm preparing to put with a TV. These drivers are often used with a largish enclosure to help with the bass, but with subs these could be made small enough to create a very nice stealth home theatre system.

Attachments

• fos.jpg
    fos.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 105
About the cabinet just buy the material at a place where they can saw the pieces at the same time , does'nt usuall cost much around here so it's definetley worth it. make a drawing first. Closed boxes are usually considered easiest just find an element that works good in a closed box. then it's just a matter of glue, drill! and screw it together. and so on.. I would have look at a couple of Hivi M8a and/or markaudio alpair 7 or a alpair 12. not sure if the sensitivity of the elements fits though, but I have a feeling it would, somehow in some combination..

Hi,

I would like to get into speaker building since I already build my amps and DACs but I'm not sure what would be a good value first build? I am a university student so I cannot afford spending too much, was looking at around 200-300$ for a pair, cheaper is better (but still good value).

So, my question is, I do not know where to start. I looked at Zaph's audio projects, would those be good for a start? My real problem is that I just don't really know how to build a cabinet, so I might be considering a kit, I just need help choosing one. Or I could learn how to build a cabinet and do it myself, I don't mind between those two.

So, please, help me?
300 dollar is really the minimum to build something.

I would say try the low cost zaph design with the aluminium dayton drivers.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hole project cost dave?

Not with my Fostex drivers. But under $300. The uFonken flat pak (RIP) was $275 (you'd have to be close to keep post <$25, and then the HST (our VAT) would still push it over $300 -- it was thou paying us to cut all the pieces), but a CHR70eN CHR-Ken would be <$300 all in if you did it yourself. Using stock CHR could get that <$200 (in North America anyway)

Quite a few projects here, based on Betsy, BOFU, FR88ex, that come in under $100 including wood shipping, et al

Taking advantage of buyouts or domeone elses surplus can do it too.

For <$300 all in there are lots & lots of decent projects.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.