Interesting(?) Old Woofer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2011, 06:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Interesting(?) Old Woofer

OK, I bought for small money these old homemeade speakers, mainly to have fun seeing if I'd get lucky as to what was in them. Opened up one and found a cubic yard of fiberglass, and some pitiful drivers, including this old Oakton woofer marked "12 watts max program material." I felt discouraged, and didn't open the other one.

Until yesterday, and when I did I found a different and better woofer (of course, different strongly implies better in this case....) Anyway, it's a Utah of some weight, see attached pics. It was suggested to me that here I might find someone with sufficient lore to tell me What This Is, and Is It Good, and Where's the Data, etc.

Also, is it worth while looking for another one, and will I ever find one if I do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Utah Heavy Woofer front.jpg (107.5 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg Utah Heavy Woofer back.jpg (107.2 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Utah Heavy Woofer motor.jpg (97.6 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg Utah Heavy Woofer markings.jpg (88.0 KB, 131 views)
Old 1st March 2011, 07:29 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

That woofer is a full range unit. Looks like a cast basket for sturdiness, an inverted cloth surround and a small motor allowing it to be used in an open baffle. Too bad they cover the ceramic magnet with a "shield" to prevent you from seeing the real size.

Utah goes way back and is a respected company. Might be hard to find another though. Check the usual places. Is it 12"?
Old 1st March 2011, 07:31 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Look in the upper left corner

utah blue frame speaker full range - Google Search

Utah went on to become Pyle AFAIK.
Old 1st March 2011, 08:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks! Mine, like the first ones in the thread you point to, has no sign of ever having the tweeter in the middle. So that just makes it an extended-range woofer. Which just might be really neat....

That pic in the first message in the AK thread of the front of the cone has a fascinating optical illusion to it. Perception can 'switch' and you see it on the left instead of on the right, with a concave middle.
Old 1st March 2011, 08:55 PM   #5
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

When it "switches" I see the cut out of the cabinet on the left is now on the outside of the driver and the whizzer cone is now inverted showing the dust cap on the outside. Is that what you see too?

Any driver with a whizzer is most often referred to as full range, wide range or extended range. Without it an extended range woofer is often referred to as a mid bass. Confused yet?
Old 1st March 2011, 09:09 PM   #6
AEIOU is offline AEIOU  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Send a message via AIM to AEIOU Send a message via MSN to AEIOU Send a message via Yahoo to AEIOU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
When it "switches" I see the cut out of the cabinet on the left is now on the outside of the driver and the whizzer cone is now inverted showing the dust cap on the outside. Is that what you see too?

Any driver with a whizzer is most often referred to as full range, wide range or extended range. Without it an extended range woofer is often referred to as a mid bass. Confused yet?
I personally wouldn't call a driver that big/large a "midbass."
In my mind, a midbass is a small woofer doing double duty not only as a woofer but also in the midrange frequencies.
Old 1st March 2011, 09:16 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
I personally wouldn't call a driver that big/large a "midbass."
In my mind, a midbass is a small woofer doing double duty not only as a woofer but also in the midrange frequencies.
That is a 12" driver, BTW, to answer Cal's question.

What I want is a woofer that gets up over 2000 hz comfortably (and of course down to 30 hz too). Doing both is the trick I guess.

I need to hook it up and play with it.
Old 1st March 2011, 10:16 PM   #8
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Fair enough, we all have different names I suppose. I think that one will have no problem at all with 2K. Might be a bit to ask for 30Hz though. Like you say, hook it up have a go at it. With a whizzer it'll probably go higher than a lot smaller mid basses
Old 1st March 2011, 11:12 PM   #9
AEIOU is offline AEIOU  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Send a message via AIM to AEIOU Send a message via MSN to AEIOU Send a message via Yahoo to AEIOU
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuixote99 View Post
That is a 12" driver, BTW, to answer Cal's question.

What I want is a woofer that gets up over 2000 hz comfortably (and of course down to 30 hz too). Doing both is the trick I guess.

I need to hook it up and play with it.
It is indeed a full ranger, a 12 inch full ranger! I'm sure it performs well beyond 2KHz, but where exactly the whizzer takes over the high frequencies you'd have to listen for or measure.

Some of the better/premium 6.5 inch midbass drivers will do from the low to mid 30's and easily to 2KHz.
Old 1st March 2011, 11:50 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

OK, I can report it plays a 30 hz test tone nice enough. I also put it into a quickly-cobbled-together 3-way frankenspeaker, and the result wasn't too awful. Can't really judge bass performance from a leaky acoustic suspension installation in a random cabinet though.

There seem to be several AK threads about speakers a lot like these. Some disparaging remarks noted....

Nearest thing to data on these(?) speakers comes from 1971 Radio Shack Catalog, pg 41 (they branded these the 'Americana,' the names 'Pandore' and 'Celeste' are mentioned i the threads too). Cat entry says it goes from 25-20,000 Hz (but that's with a co-axil tweeter). And gives power handling as 45 watts.

Hide this!Advertise here!