B&W683 or EKTA Grande? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2011, 12:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default B&W683 or EKTA Grande?

I am in the process of choosing between buying a pair of B&W683 s or building the Ekta Grande speakers... I prefer tight, deep bass (Not loud), open and warm mids and sparkling, non-metallic treble. Which is a better sonic choice? Thanks
Old 1st March 2011, 01:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Given that this is a DIY site, I can only recommend that you build the Ekta Grande or one of the other great speaker designs by Troels and others than you can find on this site. For me the rewards of sitting down and listening to something you have built far outweights the convenience of buying a commercial product. Also at the price bracket you are talking about with the Ekta Grande, you would also be more likely to get better value for money from a DIY solution.
Old 1st March 2011, 01:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you, Yes the enjoyment of seeing the final form emerging is priceless
Old 13th March 2011, 10:21 PM   #4
DACALL is offline DACALL  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junjuvava View Post
I am in the process of choosing between buying a pair of B&W683 s or building the Ekta Grande speakers... I prefer tight, deep bass (Not loud), open and warm mids and sparkling, non-metallic treble. Which is a better sonic choice? Thanks
Having recently completed Ekta Grandes in the Cremona shape -- I can thoroughly reccomend them, however the design of the cabinet and port/s are paramount to accurate, natural sound.

I am very pleased with them Troels has produced a giantkiller here --- see them on his web-site -- recent updates --Ekta Grande - David-uk

Dacall
Old 13th March 2011, 10:35 PM   #5
DACALL is offline DACALL  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianpengelly View Post
Given that this is a DIY site, I can only recommend that you build the Ekta Grande or one of the other great speaker designs by Troels and others than you can find on this site. For me the rewards of sitting down and listening to something you have built far outweights the convenience of buying a commercial product. Also at the price bracket you are talking about with the Ekta Grande, you would also be more likely to get better value for money from a DIY solution.
Ian --

Are you considering building them after hearing?

Dacall

Hide this!Advertise here!