Ellam ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

After researching on the net about the Ellams I found most of the results pointing back to this site.

So i figured i should join up :)

Im very interested in some nice sounding bookshelf speakers for my PC setup.

I currently run mission m31's and a 8" sub (Arvus) off a HT denon amp (lower spec model) using optical out from PC to amp.

it seems to do the job, however I want the scanspeak sound on my pc setup
my home audio setup isnt amazing but I do have some proac 2.5 clones i think with the 2905/9500's and the 8541's for the mids

I love the sound of these and figured the ellam's would be a step up using the rev drivers.

I also have rev 18w, 12m and d2004 illuminator tweeters (also some discovery 10f mids sitting around) that I may use either in my car setup or possibly to replace the proac clones.

I also use to own sb29 neo tweeters as well (used in a 3 way car setup), but havent heard the xt25's vifa's

now to the questions

which ellam sounds the best? or is this very subjective to peoples tastes?
I figured they are all using the scan 15w, but different tweeters.

I was kind of eying up the xt25 + 15w set, however if there is a better 2 way that utilizes the 15w and another tweeter could people please post this up?

Last edited:
I've decided to go with the Ellam XT design using the standard Z Jantzen caps

as this will only be used as PC speakers being powered by a lower end denon receiver

some quick questions..

with peoples opinions/experiances, is it worth saving up for the superior Z Caps? as they are nearly 3 times the price for me.

i.e. will it be quite a noticble difference in sound?

and last question, are the dayton cabinets any good from parts express?
I see there bookshelf cabinet which is 11L and another which is close to 14L

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.