Speaker Selection - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2011, 11:02 PM   #1
wdcw is offline wdcw  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker Selection

I have been looking at Speakers for an Acoustic Guitar amp 100w.

Could someone explain the difference between normal audio speakers & the dedicated acoustic guitar speakers.
Is their really any difference besides the price tag?

Also I have noticed that some of the dedicated acoustic guitar speakers have a frequency range of approx 80Hz to 3.5kHz, why is this?

I would have thought that seeing a guitar has many high overtones etc that the frequency range of the speakers would be to 10kHz or more?

Are their any readily available quality audio speakers that would be suitable for an acoustic guitar amp no larger than 8" --200mm.
I want a nice crisp response to the Bass & clarity of the higher harmonics etc--Acoustic sounding & not the electric guitar sound.

Cheers

Last edited by wdcw; 26th February 2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 26th February 2011, 11:58 PM   #2
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdcw View Post
Also I have noticed that some of the dedicated acoustic guitar speakers have a frequency range of approx 80Hz to 3.5kHz, why is this?

I would have thought that seeing a guitar has many high overtones etc that the frequency range of the speakers would be to 10kHz or more?

Are their any readily available quality audio speakers that would be suitable for an acoustic guitar amp no larger than 8" --200mm.
I want a nice crisp response to the Bass & clarity of the higher harmonics etc--Acoustic sounding & not the electric guitar sound.
I played an electric bass through my hifi system (very sensitive speakers) once and it sounded, for lack of a better word, sort of dull and lifeless compared to the little cheap practice amp. Since your stated desires are for an acoustic sound, it might suit your taste.

I would suggest you go to a second hand shop and get some inexpensive used speakers, then hook them up to your 100W amp and see how they sound and if they blow at the volumes you want. If not, a hifi speaker may work for you. Eminence has some coaxials that might fit the bill for you.

Hide this!Advertise here!