Not so eco Econowave deluxe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In a bit of a collaborative effort, I've been working on an econowave project to be showcased at an upcoming waveguide shoot out. This one belongs to Antripodean, but here are some pics from yesterday ...

18 sound wg and faital pro cd

Econowave-CD-waveguide.jpg

Assembled box:

Econowave-box.jpg

Drivers inserted:

Econowave-assembled.jpg

We fired one up yesterday, but you can't really listen to one, and measurements and xo needed.

More pics and details on the blog:
Red Spade Audio: Econowave deluxe

I also found a good source of reticulated foam, more about it here:

Red Spade Audio: Where can I find reticulated foam in Australia?

check out post #8, except I'd make the foam 1/2" smaller than the mouth.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/163293-conical-horn-dip.html

I thought I'd like to try that horn (faital pro 1.4"), but the throat looks squirley to me. The open cell foam in the throat should help.

I'm working on covering all the horn mouth on my horn, it is helping.
Cymbals and voices are more accurate, and bass has improved (higher info on bass transients).

Norman

Norman,

One of the compression drivers went kaput. I opened it up to have a look, the wire had come loose. Easy to fix if done carefully. Couldn't pass up the chance to get a photo, you can see it here:

Red Spade Audio: Looking inside a Faital pro compression driver

It's a 1" exit by the way. And I wonder if it's best described as a ring radiator, it doesn't have the usual inverted dome.

I've fired them both up today with a basic crossover put together and I have to say it's sounding pretty good! Nice and effortless. There is no sense of any limit in my small room.

It's the 18 sound something or other! Hmmm, it's on my blog somewhere on the waveguide shootout. It's a metal waveguide, quite solid and not cheap.

I have used cut rather than boost so far, but I really need to spend more time with it. Antrip wanted to hear it before I rushed off to a family dinner thing (late). So it was quick and dirty, only good enough to have a listen to one song then rush out. I used a shelving filter in DCX, two actually. A few quick indoors gated measurements. Voila! I like the speed with which you can knock up a crossover with active. The bits are all now so cheap it's hard to imagine using passive crossovers again.

This is Antripodean's speaker. Yes there is, in the last GTG we measured the 18 sound used here.

BTW here is the compression driver, people will find this interesting:
Red Spade Audio: Looking inside a Faital pro compression driver

We had to do a minor repair, the lead in wire had come loose.

Here is the waveguide event:
Red Spade Audio: Waveguide shootout

That's where the plots are. Here is the one for this combo

18faital-sonogram-n.png

You'll have to ask Antrip about the why. I think it may be part curiosity, wanting to try something different. I'm sure it's not the reason, but the phase plug looks cool! Kind of glows like a plasma tweeter!

Hi Paul ,

The newest ribbon and HEIL technologies are producing exceptional tweeters that have gotten positive reviews on this forum. Perhaps the next winner of the Down-Under testing will use a Beyma TPL 150H or RAAL 150-10.

The first attached picture is the BMS 4540ND compression driver SPL vs. Freq
The second attached picture is the Beyma TPL 150H specs with SPL vs. Freq

If anyone in your group is experimenting with ribbons or HEILs it would be educational to share their test data. You are already broke the ECO$ rule.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.