Wilson Puppy style speaker stands - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2011, 11:23 PM   #1
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Wilson Puppy style speaker stands

So I recently got to listen to a pair of Wilson watts on top of puppies. They got me to thinking that a pair of puppy like speaker would make great speaker stands for a whole range of monitor speakers. The thing is that if you are going to build a project like this it seems to me like you would want to make it perform a little better then the original. If you break the puppy down to it's simplest terms it is a dual 8" ported passive subwoofer. The enclosure is made with exotic materials and the crossover uses only the highest end parts but in the end it is a passive sub crossed over at about 150hz. So, I have two questions.

What would you do to improve the design?

Why don't we see more "subwoofer" speaker stands?

Personally I think I would look into 10" drivers and active amplification. another idea would be to use higher efficiency drivers so they could passively mate with a larger range of speakers.
Old 26th February 2011, 12:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Improve the design by building it yourself and saving thousans of dollars.

"Subwoofer stands" are large and thus unsightly to many people; also the DIY trend for many years has been 2-way, "bookshelf"-type speakers which are compact and easier to integrate into the decor of rooms, and are also cost efficient.

Subwoofers tend to be separated from the mains so they can be relativey "hidden" and less visually intrusive to the room. Also, much current thinking is toward multiple subs (3+) placed in several more or less random areas of the listening room, nearly always separate from the mains, as this tends to "tighten" the bass by a decrease/cancellation of room modes.
Old 26th February 2011, 12:52 AM   #3
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

I know most of that to be true except I didn't think people who were into audio would really put bookshelf speakers on anything but speaker stands. Do the people on this site really build nice 2 way speakers then shove them on a bookshelf?

I have seen the trend of multiple subwoofers which try to negate room nodes. All the more reason to make your speaker stands into subwoofers I say. Not only do you get stereo bass (helps mask location cues from 2nd order distortion) but you get the benefit of multiple subs in a nice looking arrangement.
Old 28th February 2011, 04:38 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

No, I'd venture most of us don't put our speakers on bookshelves, but we often put them up on dedicated stands - wood, metal etc, with the sub(s) somewhere else.

But that's not to say don't do it the way you have in mind - in fact I say go for it. There are lots of systems out there like that - true 3-ways or 2-way + active sub (a little easier to execute) - whatever makes you happy.

DIY means do-it-YOURSELF, afterall!

Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!