PC Crossover Software - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2011, 04:26 PM   #31
boris81 is offline boris81  United States
diyAudio Member

Not to scare anyone but..
DIYaudio, meet LULL.

Lull is my entertainment center PC. It's totally silent, no optical drive. CDs are ripped to .WAV or .FLAC on my desktop in the other room. The heatsink gets hot but never to a temperature that causes a problem and my computer even sits next to house's heat vent. The only problem that I ran into with my setup was the unvailability of a PCI slot so I have to use a PCIe to PCI converter board.

Despite it being a year old I'm still in the process of building a proper case. My primary goals were total silence, HD video playback and small size. With slightly different requirements cost and other factors can be greatly optimized. There might be better components available on the market now, if I was to build another one I would search into low power laptop versions of the iCore chips.

It's a miniITX 1156 Zotac motherboard. I use an i3 CPU with the integrated HD video. Fanless heatsink, SSD and fanless laptop brick style power supply.

motherboard - Zotac H55ITX-A-E LGA1156
CPU and graphics - Intel i3 530
CPU cooler- Noctua NH-C12P
hard drive - Kingston SSD 64GB
Power Supply- picoPSU-150-XT/12.5A 150W AC-DC
sound - Creative Audigy 2 ZS with kx-project (with a PCI Express to PCI Adapter Card)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lull.jpg (94.1 KB, 397 views)

Last edited by boris81; 28th February 2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 27th October 2013, 08:25 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Check Flowstone. This is a graphical audio compiler dedicated to digital audio.
FlowStone Graphical Programming Software

Implementing a digital audio crossover only takes a few minutes with Flowstone.
XOVER Linkwitz-Riley
XOVER Lipshitz-Vanderkooy
XOVER State Variable Filter

Actually, you can program your own digital audio analyzer. This way you can plot the magnitude and phase of any signal.
FFT-based Audio Analyzer

Now that you are in total control, you can refine your digital audio crossover at will, adding more IIR filters, adding FIR filters, adding a Linkwitz Transform (aka bass boost), etc.
Experimenting with IIR filters
Experimenting with FIRs

You can build a whole digital audio environment, automatically and interactively computing the FIR filter coefficients that you need, for implementing in one single pass, both the speaker linearization function, and the highpass and/or lowpass function you need within a crossover.

Speaker Lab with FIR filter

Speaker Lab is indeed a quite complicated audio DSP arrangement operating in real time, taking the targeted acoustic Bode plot (gain + phase) as input data, measuring the bare speaker driver acoustic Bode Plot, comparing the targeted Bode plot with the bare speaker driver Bode plot (divide magnitudes, subtract the phases) for computing the required electric correction Bode plot, and finally computing the required electric impulse response correction (iFFT) which actually is the FIR filter that you need to apply.
Old 27th October 2013, 02:36 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to ackcheng
Any chance of supporting kinect based head tracking?
Old 27th October 2013, 10:25 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Another option, from the linix camp.

MPD with alsa and sox. All software is free, and it's all running very nicely on my old single core AMD processor. See: Digital Crossover/EQ with Open-Source Software: HOWTO | Richard's Stuff

Many sound cards supported, both for playing digital source and for analog input (or digital input)... Pictured at the above site is a silent server.
Old 28th October 2013, 01:42 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplesset View Post
Another option, from the linix camp. MPD with alsa and sox. All software is free, and it's all running very nicely on my old single core AMD processor. See: Digital Crossover/EQ with Open-Source Software: HOWTO | Richard's Stuff Many sound cards supported, both for playing digital source and for analog input (or digital input)... Pictured at the above site is a silent server.
Wow, that's really fantastic. I'll try this. Any chance using an ARM-powered Android Tablet instead of a X86-powered Ubunbtu Server PC?
Old 28th October 2013, 03:01 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

In fact, I think the referenced article talks about ARM powered... I happened to have enough parts to do what was needed at no cost, so that's the route I went. I don't have enough reason behind changing it to spend anything, so PC it stays...
Old 28th October 2013, 09:02 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplesset View Post
In fact, I think the referenced article talks about ARM powered...
Not sure what you mean, Jay. Richard Taylor approach is CPU-agnostic Linux Ubuntu server edition. Richard Taylor specifies the Shuttle XS35v2 and the Zotac zbox hardware as first choices, both Intel X86 (Atom) powered. Richard Taylor also specifies Raspberry Pi (ARM powered), however reading further there are three difficulties associated with Raspberry Pi.

1st difficulty is to use Richard Taylor latest rt-plugins, dealing with the fact that ARM CPUs are not equipped with x86 SSE extensions.

2nd difficulty is to edit the Makefile and remove the “-march=native” from CFLAGS, which for some reason breaks things on the Raspberry Pi.

3rd difficulty is some Raspberry Pi USB bottleneck, preventing grabbing stereo audio from USB (SPDIF stereo-in), and at the same time sending multichannel audio to USB (6 analog channels-out for a stereo 3-way crossover). Thus, with Raspberry Pi, the stereo audio must reside on the SSD, or must come from WiFi/Ethernet.

Knowing this, basing on x86 or ARM, one must take into account how moody ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) can be when dealing with multichannel audio. You faced this, Jay, with ALSA complaining about an "out of range parameter" upon sending 4 channels of audio into a 5.1 USB audio attachment.

One shall encourage the diyAudio communauty in following the Richard Taylor way.
The diyAudio communauty will grab valuable info about x86 and ARM hardware behavior, Linux kernel behavior, ALSA behavior and multichannel audio attachments driver behavior.
As soon as ALSA stability and reliability get decent when dealing with multichannel audio, people will get motivated in writing CPU-agnostic Linux software acting as graphical front-end, generating the needed system calls.

Richard Taylor approach was to base on a Linux distribution like Linux Ubuntu server edition. There should be a diyAudio discussion, entitled "Richard Taylor Ubuntu DSP XO". I think you are best placed, Jay, for opening that diyAudio discussion.

I guess people will try basing on Android instead of Ubuntu. This way, provided Android 4.4 KitKat enables multichannel USB audio attachments in full duplex, people will get motivated for publishing Android software, converting Android Tablets into DSP XOs taking SPDIF as input. Soon or later, there will exist a diyAudio discussion entitled "Richard Taylor DSP XO - migrating to Android". Is there material for opening such discussion right now?

Last edited by steph_tsf; 28th October 2013 at 09:04 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!