Ciare design idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had begin this year a design idea with ciare drivers I want to share with you. It is designed to have low group delay and a few db extra low to compensate the 4phi radiation.

And using all time classic softdome drivers

The design
attachment.php

The drivers
attachment.php

Filter.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2011-02-22 om 21.06.21.png
    Schermafbeelding 2011-02-22 om 21.06.21.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 2,288
  • Schermafbeelding 2011-02-22 om 21.07.22.png
    Schermafbeelding 2011-02-22 om 21.07.22.png
    129.1 KB · Views: 1,507
  • Schermafbeelding 2011-02-22 om 21.07.43.png
    Schermafbeelding 2011-02-22 om 21.07.43.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,075
Last edited:
Design goals:

High quality stand-loudspeaker compact size.
High price performance ratio.
Dome tweeter midrange for reproducing the most important frequency range.
Two sub-woofers to guaranty sub-bas although radiating in full space 4π.

Explanation design choices:
Bass:
For good music reproduction good bas performance is of the highest importance. The bass fundament carries the stage of the reproduction.
The problem with most speakers is to lack of good sub-bas because it needs big surface to make bas down to 30Hz at 90dB/1Wmtr. And it radiates into full space so the efficiency drops due this effect on bigger distance. Because mid and high radiate in half space 2π with higher efficiency. Small BR-enclosures can reproduce sub-bas although they suffer colouring by high extrusion and high group-delay figures.
The HS250 have very good linear midrange, high extrusion motor xmax=8mm witch ensures low total harmonic distortion and linear extrusion and sub-bas up to 200W. I will design a BR enclosure but the driver behaves almost like in a closed box and has its low group-delay in the good audible area down to 45Hz. Then it will slightly rise.
Group-delay is a negative behaviour of a BR. There done listening tests and the outcome is to keep the ratio: group-delay X frequency < 400. A goal this speaker keeps control of.
The lowest HS250 driver will be cut off at 300Hz so it will be a 3.5 BBMT design. And it has a quality aluminium frame to ensure low thd.

Midrange:
What Ciare haven’t lost is making nice soft-dome midrange drivers like the MH500.
The midrange is what we from nature are the most sensitive to. What would it be nice to have one in this speaker design. It will fit perfect with the flat response of the HS250.

High range dome:
It has shown that making a good dome tweeter isn’t that difficult very cheep one can perform at the highest standard. Only the of axes shows witch ones are the best. Like morel CAT408 sold in matched pairs. Would perfect fit in this design.

To keep the price as low as possible I will be using the HT 250, the grill also helps increase the of axes response. And the mall diameter will help it place the right way on the baffle and on the good distance to the MH500.

Looks promising!
PA drivers are generally cheaper than hifi ones and quite good IMHO.
I'm presently begining to design a floorstanded 3-way with a side-firing 15"Ciare, an Eighteensound 8" + Scan-Speak tweeter. I guess I will enjoy playing around these drivers, LOL

Looks promising!
PA drivers are generally cheaper than hifi ones and quite good IMHO.
I'm presently begining to design a floorstanded 3-way with a side-firing 15"Ciare, an Eighteensound 8" + Scan-Speak tweeter. I guess I will enjoy playing around these drivers, LOL
The HS250 are sold for 75 euro very flat midrange response aluminum chassis nice x-max for subbas.

Subwoofer Ciare Hs250 25cm 300w 8+8ohm

I will work out a active version with SURE class D TK2050 amp 4X100W 4 Ohm fits perfect in this configuration, because it very good and even cheaper then a quality passive cross over and we have a amp for each driver. This will be very loud and controlled.
31AGg3Cbz4L._SL500_.jpg

Last edited:
Simulation of the woofers with filter at 300 and 650 hz.

And the response of the BR-port place near floor and on the back so in normal placement, near a back wall we can at 6dB to the port response. So we can have 20Hz -4dB in this situation. The port response shout be added to the front radiation to see the whole bandwidth.

The design has a lay out that uses the room gain in its advantage.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2011-02-22 om 21.54.18.png
    Schermafbeelding 2011-02-22 om 21.54.18.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Schermafbeelding 2011-02-22 om 21.56.20.png
    Schermafbeelding 2011-02-22 om 21.56.20.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 78
A goal was a low group-delay this bass-reflex has best of both worlds.

Almost same low group-delay as a closed-box and sub-low as a bas-reflex. To get direct undelayed bass.

And the big port keeps the air velocity low below 19m/sec at max power.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2011-02-22 om 22.03.21.png
    Schermafbeelding 2011-02-22 om 22.03.21.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Schermafbeelding 2011-02-22 om 22.03.56.png
    Schermafbeelding 2011-02-22 om 22.03.56.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 64
Sure, placing the driver and the enclosure this way will enhance the sub-bass spl.
Is the posted filter a sim based on manufacturer specs?

It is simulation based.

Like I already mentioned I will make a active filter to get reliable results although only using simulations. To save money and have better performance. With active setup base on the 4X100W sure amplifier.

Last edited:
I got interested in Ciare due the nice dome midrange driver. Although at its most popular time end seventies its got a bit common.
ciare_hm500.jpg

What is nicer then the low mass soft dome, the dome shape is very strong and the soft material has a high own damping. And the off axes of the dome shape is also a nice feature. It is like we do not see these nice middrivers any more as a good candidate for our project.
Like the HM500.

The ciare tweeter is also a very special driver as we look at the off axes of that driver,

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2011-02-23 om 18.38.01.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2011-02-23 om 18.38.01.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
attachment.php

The baffle of the md-high range is made of black painted MDF sides made angular to prevent reflections to cross the direct radiation.

The rest of the box is made of 18mm birch-plywood.

the baffle of the woofers is black paintedf mdf with a 3mm birch triplex face plate.

Attachments

• C_Documents and SettingsUSERMijn documentenDrawing ciare.dwg Model (1).pdf
    11 KB · Views: 746
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.