Measuring system for use with a Mac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think I am about 80% there with my new crossover for my three-way DIY system. I have done electrical response measurements on the filters which are for the most part consistent with my predictions, but until now have had no way of making serious acoustic measurements to confirm how the drivers will combine in the room.

So I am looking for a relatively low-cost measuring system with MLSSA-type software and a USB ADC, both of which will work with my new MacBook with Snow Leopard.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Alex

I use on my macbook-pro (freeware) virtual box and installed XP there.
VirtualBox

This to use windows freeware. Like Arta MLS.ARTA Home

Windows starts faster on a mac then on a windows machine.:D I have a virtual drive in virtual xp witch on the mac is a folder so through this trick my windows and mac project are passed through.

On my laptop most of the time both operating systems are running the same time.

Specrafoo is also pretty killer.

Looks cool, but expensive. For our purposes, what does it offer that FuzzMeasure doesn't?

How much would my choice of audio interface hardware be likely to limit my options for RTA software packages?

I wouldn't expect it to have much impact. Lots of people run FuzzMeasure with USB boxes. I use an M-Audio FireWire Solo I've had for years. I also even use an Audyssey calibration mic that came with a receiver direct into the MacBook's headphone in for quick-and-dirty measurements.

Looks cool, but expensive. For our purposes, what does it offer that FuzzMeasure doesn't?

Fuzzmeasure looks like a cool little application. I'm thinking about getting the demo and putting it through it's paces.

I mentioned it because well, it's worth mentioning. Though it's not my daily driver measurement software- that's mainly Smaart and SIM3.

Yes, Spectrafoo is probably overkill but it's pretty obvious it can do things Fuzzmeasure cannot. Relative phase measurements for one- again I havn't played with Fuzzmeasure yet, but I don't see it mentioned.
You can look through the Spectrafoo standard features pages alone to get an idea.

Funny you mention MLSSA, since I've thought about selling mine. But I don't know that I'm quite ready to.

Anyway, I'm not familiar with all the softwares lately. Just be sure that:
1,2) You can measure impedance curve magnitude AND phase
3,4) You can measure SPL curve magnitude AND phase
- The phase is MEASURED; I don't like calculated phase because that assumes the phase is well behaved which is not always a good assumption.
It's not clear to me that the softwares mentioned above can easily do all 4. Maybe they can, I just don't know.

What are you using for a simulation? LEAP is still my favorite. I don't really know of a Mac package-does anyone? I'd sure be curious.
Gotta be something that does a hard number-crunching voltage divider from the SPL data of the transducer + impedance data of the drivers (Which is why you need the measured phase...)

It will be interesting to see what comes of Smaart porting their tools into the Studio Six iPhone/Touch/iPad environment.

Indeed.
Many engineers have been using VNC to control Smaart and their flavor of system management processor via a tablet for a while so they can walk the room, but it would be really great to have something native with a tablet optimized GUI.

I have a small collection of Mac measurement software. Price range is from free to around a 1000 USD if my memory is somewhat correct. What they can and cannot do you will have to find out for yourselves.

Baudline however, does FFT and lots more, and is free (second URL below)

Audiofile Engineering - Spectre
what is baudline?
Download Electroacoustics Toolbox for Mac - Data acquisition/analysis of electroacoustical signals. MacUpdate.com
FFT Analyzer Oliver’s Homepage
FuzzMeasure Pro 3
iSpectrum - Mac Audio Spectrum Analyzer
JAVA AUDIO ANALYZER
Mac OS Sound Acquisition/Analysis Systems (lots of systems)
NuGen Audio Plugins - Professional VST and AU for PC and Mac
SignalScope Pro
Rational Acoustics
Metric Halo SpectraFoo
Matlab.html (edge diffraction toolbox)

I might have missed a few, and I don't know anything about their functionality, I just know they exist.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.