Port Length Trade Offs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I learn well using extremes, so let me pose this question:

In a given subwoofer with a given tuning, (According to WinISD) I could put the typical port configuration and use 2 ports that are 3 inches in diameter and 10.25" inches long and end up with a vent mach of 0.15. I can also have 189 ports 2 millimeters in diameter and 3/4" long, which would be vary handy when using 3/4" material. That would have a vent mach of 0.02.

You could tune by drilling holes with your 2 millimeter drill bit, and plugging holes with gum.

What's the disadvantage to this?

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Many small holes instead of one or two large ports was covered by A.N. Thiele, (of Thiele-Small parameters), and was labelled the "distributed vent" back in 1971 when he wrote his famous paper about vented boxes.

Thiele showed that it was a way of adding resistance to the port, something like stuffing the port with fiberglass.

If you go the Adire site and download LspCAD, you will see that making 9 holes instead of one actually changes the impedance curve considerably.

It is an interesting way to make an "aperiodic" enclousure, but not a good idea if you want full port action.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.