LS3/5a on Ebay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I have never seen that tweeter before ?

I may be wrong, but woofer surround looks somewhat "bright", greyish
and all KEF woofers I have seen have all had dark black surround

from what I understand there have only been 15 really genuine pairs, basicly
the rest are licensed "copies", from various companies
some better than others

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Any idea what that White Belly means?

says its the araldite glue round the dustcap on woofer

my friend's KEF Bailey TL have that white belly mod
unfortunately the surround have rotted completely away
but no problem
I gave him a pair of CSS FR125 to replace them
might be a good in Baileys, and better

might be the boxes are genuine
but drivers could very well be be repaired or renewed
the White Belly one looks like its got new surround
and the one in white box, looks like a new woofer
surround's edge/diaphragm connection looks a bit "wide"

but I may be wrong about it
just what my sore eyes see

The KEF B110 has butyl rubber surround.
Hoe can a butyl rubber surround be rotted?

I never heard of that! Impossible
I think you have the wrong driver in mind.
Only foam surround rot.

All LS3/5a that I have seen have new looking woofers.
Even the 40 years old ones.
They just don't deteriorate.

Any idea what that White Belly means?

I've owned a few pairs (Swisstone), restored/modified quite a few more, and have never seen that "ring" before. Looks like an aftermarket doping job, but one never knows. The center domes of the B110s appear to have been pushed in, then more-or-less repaired (maybe related to the white ring?). And the tag on the back looks funny- don't Brits cross their sevens?

It might be fine, but for the top dollar being asked, I'd have a lot of questions.

What a non sence. I sent a post and the person that they came from had them for more than 30 years in storage. They were never used nor modified.

The KEF B110 were not repaired, but fine tuned by Rogers by adding some glue to the center dome. Some series have that.

I have seen many no.7 written like that.

Nothing is asked, but I have seen LS3/5a go for over $3000.

Look at this one same label same no.7
Rogers LS3/5A Monitor Loudspeakers Pair - eBay (item 260735983728 end time Feb-18-11 11:12:15 PST)

It also has the white around the dome.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've owned a few pairs (Swisstone), restored/modified quite a few more, and have never seen that "ring" before.

The ring is simply the glue holding the dustcap on getting exposed to too much humidity. I've seen it on a number of B110. 2 drivers can be matched more closely by adjusteing the mass -- most often with a bit more PVA around the dustcap.

Not on the ones i just restored thou.

Lars, the tweeter is a T27 with a Celestion HF2000 protective grill installed.

dave

The walnut pair look correct to me. I had the Rogers in rosewood circa '78. I currently have an 11 ohm pair. The woofer in the while pair looks like the woofer for the 11 ohm version though. If you compare the pictures you can see the wider contact area between surround and cone on the white pair compared to the other. I don't recall that the 15 ohm woofer was ever made that way. I never saw or heard talk of a white before, but that doesn't mean anything. I would ask on the Yahoo LS3/5a group about the white. Not saying anything is wrong, but I would do a little more research before considering the white pair.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
John,

I don't think there ever was a 15 ohm woofers. All LS3/5A were made using standard B110 SP1003. Then selected & matched. Production ceased when consistency from KEF declined to the point that is became too difficult,

Early ones would have been made before the fire that killed all the KEF tooling and later with the units created on the new tooling.

dave

The crossover makes the 15 ohm.
It compensates by bringing the whole spectrum down a few db exept the lower freq.
To extend bass response.

Here's another pic with the white rings.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a375/maxbliss888/Rogers speakers/WhiteBelly2.jpg

The 11 ohm has KEF B110 C SP1228 the 15 ohm SP1003

FYI all B110 versions look exactly the same from the front.
Only the '73 '74 version shows the voice coil leads sticking through the cone.

Hek what do I know...
I only own 4 pairs of them.

Last edited:
The wider surround contact area was done by KEF because instead of the original 3 layers of dope they put only 2 or 1 on the bextrene cone.
The broader surround was a little heavier to compensate.
KEF made more than once slight moderations to the B110 over the 30+ years of production.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.