What is ment by the term: Soundstage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

having trouble to distinguish "imaging" and "soundstage", I recently searched for definitions of these terms and came up with the following thread: What does "Soundstage" & Imaging exactly mean? - Audio & Video Equipment Forums (make sure to read post #5). Again, I am just a headphone enthusiast trying to get into speakers, not an expert; but those definitions helped me understand the terminology.

Regards,

Fred

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Following a (very very long) thread about phase I came across the phrase "soundstage". What is actually ment by this?
Thanks.

Think of a live performance, a band up on the stage. Lets say it's a three piece band and the width of the performers on stage is four meters. How well can your loudspeakers replicate the four meter width and depth too?
If you are listening to a solo performer then it isn't too difficult for a single loudspeaker to narrow the sound into a single point, but if you are trying to recreate a full orchestra, then you want something that recreates (artificially) a wider and deeper stage of performers.

A sense of space presented to your sense of hearing.

And that recreated sense of space, in it's best situation, makes you feel you are right there in the event.

Of course our senses can be misled in every aspect. That means, even if you are actually right there in the event, your hearing (or its memory) is probably not as accurate and comprehensive as you might expect - when you are actually there, you don't hear the 'soundstage'.

A paradox? Maybe.

Oh, I thought "soundstage" is more of the sense of 'environment' - including the dimensions or shapes of the places, texture of the boundaries, or even the background noises; while "imaging" is more of the positioning of the sources and their physical characters.

AEIOU: Your definition makes lot of sense - in the Google translation to Danish it says "sound image (picture)" = "lydbillede" (Danish). It is much that we try to explain how this or that sounds by speaking words - or stating formulas. May be, I wonder too much...
Thanks for all the replies anyways.

Oh, I thought "soundstage" is more of the sense of 'environment' - including the dimensions or shapes of the places, texture of the boundaries, or even the background noises; while "imaging" is more of the positioning of the sources and their physical characters.

+1

This article is old but helpful for definitions: Sounds Like? An Audio Glossary

soundstaging, soundstage presentation
The accuracy with which a reproducing system conveys audible information about the size, shape, and acoustical characteristics of the original recording space and the placement of the performers within it.

imaging
The measure of a system's ability to float stable and specific phantom images, reproducing the original sizes and locations of the instruments across the soundstage. See "stereo imaging."

Cheers,

Alex

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
I've always used the terms soundstage & imaging interchangably.

dave

I pretty much agree with that too, but I believe that imaging is primarily a function of the loudspeakers and that soundstage is your loudspeakers output combined with the acoustics of your listening room/environment.
Anyway people have to remember that "stereo" doesn't actually mean two distinct channels as in only a left and right, but a solid wall of sound with no holes in between.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
I borrowed it from Stereophile.

Soundstaging, soundstage presentation. The accuracy with which a reproducing system conveys audible information about the size, shape, and acoustical characteristics of the original recording space and the placement of the performers within it.

Imaging. The measure of a system's ability to float stable and specific phantom images, reproducing the original sizes and locations of the instruments across the soundstage. See "stereo imaging."

Stereo imaging. The production of stable, specific phantom images of correct localization and width.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
The term "Quadrophonic" was used specifically for the enhanced technology and media of the 1970s. It is now basically an obsolete term.
Most people think "stereo" means two (2) channels. Not really. The Greek root word from which the word "stereo" is derived means solid, as in a wall. The correct term for two channels and two channels only is binaural.

I cannot restrict myself from mentioning: "Quadraphonic imaging", not to mention Dolby Theater 4,5...N or the likes.

Usually we are seated in front of the artists, an orchestra, a band or what-ever. Sometimes we stand up, and maybe we even dance (around).

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
I knew that the "quad" term was obsolete and thats fine. But your explanation of "stereo" is all new to me. I will look into that...
:)

What I was trying to say, is that there is no absolute reason why we have to limit ourselves to two channels of sound only. Two channels were basically the limitations of the media available at the time. Vinyl records performed admirably with two channels, but when they increased it to four. . . .

Soundstaging, soundstage presentation. The accuracy with which a reproducing system conveys audible information about the size, shape, and acoustical characteristics of the original recording space and the placement of the performers within it.

Imaging. The measure of a system's ability to float stable and specific phantom images, reproducing the original sizes and locations of the instruments across the soundstage. See "stereo imaging."

Stereo imaging. The production of stable, specific phantom images of correct localization and width.

Hi,

OK from the auditory point of view but IMO,the 'recording/mixing side interpretations are needed/missing too to complete the definitions more clearly : audio notes:

b:)

Attachments

• The Art of Recording.pdf
    116.9 KB · Views: 44
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.