1.5" Ciare MT320 Mounted in a Modified 12" PE Waveguide - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2011, 02:45 AM   #1
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default 1.5" Ciare MT320 Mounted in a Modified 12" PE Waveguide

Hi Guys,

I was reading a bit about larger format dome tweeters on Troels Gravesen's website here:

Large domes

It got me thinking about how one of these would sound mounted in a 12" Parts Express H12RW waveguide.

Zaph has done some testing with the 8" WG, a 6" WG and some 1" dome tweeters, most of which was promising:

Zaph|Audio

I'm thinking of trying the same basic idea with a 1.5" Ciare MT320 mounted in the 12" PE waveguide.

Any opinions or experiences with this sort of setup out there? I'm guessing things would go downhill pretty quickly above 10-15kHz, but with the larger dome you could probably push the combination right down to the cutoff of the waveguide at 1200Hz. That would allow an easy crossover to a large format driver which might be efficient enough to keep up.

Any ideas on how this might go would be welcome, before I drop a few hundred dollars on tweeters and horns.

Cheers,
Owen
Old 14th February 2011, 02:13 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The only way to find out is to try it. Nobody can 'predict' the response. One of the primary mitigators is how the tweeter's profile mates at the throat of the guide. Here's where things can get unacceptable in a hurry with little or nothing to be done about it. The overall FR usually has it's simililarities based on the WG profile such as the rise from 10khz on down. Nothing a good XO design or DSP can't handle. If you don't have the measurment capabilities, or someone who'll do it for you then certainly pass. The effort on developing a mounting system won't be worth a thing without data to support it.
Old 14th February 2011, 05:35 PM   #3
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

What you can aspect is decreasing SPL with increasing frequency.

Better impuls behavior. Although the ciare already shows a perfect impulse response

Due better loading lower XO point.
Due better loading lower THD figures.

Hide this!Advertise here!