Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2011, 09:45 PM   #1
Docks is offline Docks  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Is this a reasonable "dream build"?

In the next few years I would really like to make a pair of speakers. Perhaps using the Scan Speak components used in the ZRT's.

Heres some specs.
Scan Speak Tweeter (Probably 6600) in its separate movable cabinet.
1 or 2 Scan Speak Revelator mids again in a separate movable cabinet.
Finally a JL Audio sub (13W7)in its own separate cabinet (per channel of course)

I could use my QSC 404 to power the tweeters and mids then obtain a Behringer EP4000 for the subs.
Behringer DCX2496 active crossovers, 1 per channel.
Behringer DEQ2496 for room correction.

Active crossovers would help modify phasing and xover points.
The separate cabinets would allow time cohesion based on different room sizes + sitting positions.
The sub would help pick up where the Scan speak left off to carry into the 20hz area.

Cabinets would have to be REALLY well engineered, I want next to no cabinet resonance.

Is this a realistic build idea here?
Old 14th February 2011, 01:41 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You will probably find as many dreambuilds as there are people on this forum.

This speaker build will be limited by the quality of the amps.

dave
Old 14th February 2011, 01:55 AM   #3
Banned

You only need one Behringer DCX2496. But I'm sure the folks at Behringer would love to sell you two.

I've used the air circ tweeters and while they are excellent, there are less expensive tweeters that come very close in performance. Check out the SEAS line if you wanna save a few bucks.
Old 14th February 2011, 03:20 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yeah, if i went with 2 of the revelator drivers per tower i would need more than one DCX. Ideally it would just be a 3 way. Would there be an advantage of running 4 way if i can cover the band with 3 way? Perhaps better separation of instruments?
Old 14th February 2011, 04:48 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docks View Post
Perhaps better separation of instruments?
As a generalization more XO points means poorer soundstage & less coherency. One of the reasons why many are moving to, and living with the limitations of 1-way systems. Of at least talking the lessons learned and pushing XOs in a 2 or 3 way system below 300 hz and above 5k.

dave
Old 14th February 2011, 03:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Planet10 thanks for all of the info btw.
This info regarding xo's does it apply if we use the active xo approach? If so to what extent? What is your opinion of phase+time coherence?
Old 14th February 2011, 03:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I strongly recommend that your first pair of speakers be built according to plans published by a well-known DIY designer. It will ease your entry into this wonderful field and guarantee you good results; neither will happen if you try to do everything on your own, even if we tell you that your components are of good quality.
Old 14th February 2011, 07:22 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docks View Post
Planet10 thanks for all of the info btw.
This info regarding xo's does it apply if we use the active xo approach? If so to what extent? What is your opinion of phase+time coherence?
Yes. Active is not a panacea. I value phase coherence... hence my almost exclusive use of full ranges or, when doing 2-ways, and XO ~ 300 hz or lower.

A 3-way would add woofers below 50 hz.

dave
Old 14th February 2011, 07:24 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
I strongly recommend that your first pair of speakers be built according to plans published by a well-known DIY designer.
Merits repeating, and advise given to all who start their diy speaker journey.

dave
Old 14th February 2011, 07:35 PM   #10
DougL is offline DougL  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
I strongly recommend that your first pair of speakers be built according to plans published by a well-known DIY designer. It will ease your entry into this wonderful field and guarantee you good results; neither will happen if you try to do everything on your own, even if we tell you that your components are of good quality.
If you choose to ignore this very sound advice (I did), then I would encourage you to start with inexpencive drivers. With a DCX and $50 in drivers, I had a prototype I enjoyed listening to.
However, I do have a mesuring setup, and a copy of soundeasy.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Doug

Hide this!Advertise here!