Davis Acoustics bass driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
how's this look to ya?

http://www.davis-acoustics.com/gb/produits/hp/series/carbone/25sca10w.htm

Type :
Bass
_
Impedance (Ohm) :
6 ohm
_
Sensitivity (dB) :
_
Fs :_
_
Re :
_
Res :
_
Qms :
_
Qes :
_
Qts :
_
BL :
_
Xmax :
_
Cms :
_
Mms :
_
Vas :
_
Aire :
_
L :

I have been looking at this driver for some time now, seems its the lightest 10" around? The moving mass is a mere 30,9 grams.

I have been looking for a good 10" to support my Vifa XT18WH driver in the lower regions. And the since the Vifa driver is so light and fast, I would love to have a quick bass as well,.

Has anyone heard this driver? Or does anyone know of even faster quality 10" drivers on the market?

I was planning on using it in a closed box... But then I got hooked on the 4th BandPass idea. Heard that it is(in theory atleast) the second fastest of all enclosure types. And then you can make it go lower and at the same time avoid the enourmes inductor that would be needed to cut it of where I would like to do it(and just use a smaller one to get rid of the really high frequencies...).

MMS on its own doesn't result in 'quick' bass - you have to look at BL as well - think about it light cone & tiny magnet vs heavy cone & huge magnet - you have to take the motor into consideration.

As for 4th order bandpass being the 'quickest' I think you mean the slowest - looka t the high group delay.

My advise is use the driver, its nice, go for either a low Q (< 0.65) alignment or an EBP (oversized, downtuned vented).

Isobarik if size is a concern, but must use the same driver for both.

What I meant was 2. quickest in response. Only outmatched by the closed box(in theory..). I know there may be problems with the phase , but you could always move the box a bit forward to compensate for that.

I assumed that the magnet was of a sufficient size, on a quality driver like this one... Though the picture seems to indicate otherwise...

Has anyone else spotted even lighter 10" drivers? The industry line og Davis speakers, are even lighter, but these seem very low quality, anyone heard these? And what about the prices compared to the Carbon line?

dezzz said:
What I meant was 2. quickest in response. Only outmatched by the closed box(in theory..). I know there may be problems with the phase , but you could always move the box a bit forward to compensate for that.

Not sure what you mean by quickest response- usually that refers to group delay, of which bandpass has the highest.
This is not the same as phase, so moving the box in the room will not change it.

dezzz said:

I assumed that the magnet was of a sufficient size, on a quality driver like this one... Though the picture seems to indicate otherwise....

It probably is, you have to look at the spec Bl which is a measurement of motor strength.

I have read using the ratio of mms/BL to arrive at a number for comparisons.
Eg.
mms of 10g/BL of 10 = 1
mms of 20g/Bl of 10 = 2
The lower the number the better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.