New Tang Band Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got a mailing list email from Tang Band today announcing 2" x 3" oval full range, and 6" x 9" subwoofer drivers.
Three FR - W23-1046S , W23-973S and W23-972S .
One woofer - W69-1042 .

With close spacing enabled by the flattened oval cone and frame shapes, these look just the ticket for building line source speaker systems.

Eric / - I just thought you speaker guys might like to know.

Woofer.

8 ohm, 88 dB, 90 W, 35 Hz - 350 Hz, 35 Hz resonance.

Attachments

• w691042_3.jpg
    w691042_3.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,621
Who, me?

Actually, for a while, I was considering the possibility of building some slim towers using some Tangband tweeter, a Tangband 4" PPM woofer, and four of the tangband 5" "subwoofers" that Parts Express carries. But I'm happy with the speakers I've got right now, and the idea was just sort of speculation.

Anyways, don't let that stop you from building it. If it were left to me, I don't think I would ever really get around to building it. I have lots of ideas, but they kind of run out of steam after a while. I've been meaning to catch up on my NSB-Daline project. Those NSBs in my grandparents' basement aren't going anywhere until I stick them in something, so I just need to ask a few more questions and then I will be able to hammer out the design.

And how do the Tang Bangs sound anyways? The new eliptical sub looks cosmetically great, especially considering the price. May be I am wrong, but I feel like cosmetics is a big thing when it comes to drivers, not so much the overall factors such as colors, etc, but how it is put together and the materials, ie solid feel.

amo said:
How is distortion with the TB drivers?

I've posted this plot several times before, but what the heck...it's only bits and badwidth right?

Here is an intermodulation distortion plot for a Tang Band 4" driver. (I can go look up the model number at a later date, I have tested two models of them, both are similar, although one is slightly better. I think this is the worse of the two.)

Attachments

• tbw4imd.png
    tbw4imd.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 335
Last woofer is a world class 5.5" model, the Seas Excel W15CY001. Now, this driver isn't in the same price range by any means, it utilizes a LOT of distortion reducing features that the Tang Band or Vifa drivers don't. I'm just including it to show what current state of the art is for available woofers.

All tests were made using a signal level corrected and scaled for 96dB output at 150Hz at 1m, half space radiation. These woofers are all making the same amount of sound at the fundamental frequency. Intermod tones at 135Hz and 165 Hz are played at 6dB down from the fundamental 150Hz tone. Only these three tones are in the original input signal. Any other tone...is distortion.

Scott

Attachments

• w15cy001.png
    w15cy001.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 351
amo said:
Thank you Scott, that was an eye opener for me :bigeyes:

No problem. I must admit, I only started doing these kinds of tests after reading about them on Dr. Linkwitz's site.

Distortion is one big advantage most of the European sourced drivers have over the discounted Asian versions. There are some notable exceptions that I've measured and I'm sure there are some that I haven't.

That said, it's pretty much a safe bet to go with the European drivers, and a few others...people like Vifa, Peerless, Seas, Morel, Audax...etc..

Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.