Proposed new forum structure for Loudspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What are member and moderators' views on splitting the Loudspeaker Forum into a number of subforums, such as (example only):
Stereo
Home Theatre
Subwoofers
Biamping
Car Audio
Other

At the very least, I think a separate forum for subwoofers would be useful ...

Thoughts and comments :confused:

Regards
Nix

Yeah, i think so too, at least 2 subforums for somthing like
1. DIY building/Desinging
2. Theoratical stuff/questions

Or:
1. Conventional (2/3 way)
2. Single driver
3. Subwoofers

I think that would be a realy good idee, the amp guys have bout 3 seprate forums as wel...

Thanks for enthusiastic support M, E & K

It will be a bit tricky to come up with a structure that works. Suggest we come up with a few candidate structures, then test these on the last 100 threads - ie try to allocate each of these to one of the subforums.

Think we should apply the KISS principle and aim to come up with just three or four subforums.

Further ideas??? :idea:

Nix

Whoa, hang on a sec here. I like the consolidation one forum provides. Except for the car audio (for which there is a forum: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=38) all of the things mentioned are eventually integrated into the discussion of loudspeaker construction.

I mean, I can understand the desire to compartmentalize, but none of these issues exist in a vacuum, as opposed to the issues amp guys deal with.

In addition, it takes me no time at all to read all the posts of interest per day. I don't see how that's too many.

Dave

I personally do think it makes sense to split the group up to achieve a bit more focus. I'm not a regular here, but I would be if there was a group more focused on my interests (horns and dipoles).

What would I propose? Let me start with a caveat that you'll never get a breakdown that keeps everyone satisified. However, an organization along radiation patterns does have some appeal:

Monopoles
Gradients (dipoles)
Line Sources (including ribbons and electrostats)
Horns

Just some food for thought...

John

I totaly agree, as suggestet above i think its a good starting point.

When there were more sub-forums jou would be able to find things faster and read all the stuf jou would like to.

On another forum (a dutch one (Gatering of Tweakers)) people also olmost always include tags in front of their topics, kinda like this:

[2way/filter] What X-over freq. should i use
(tags are made by the topicstarter so not evrybody does this , but is is much more clearer to find somthing of your interrest)

I think when we introduced subforums and tags the forum would become better

7V said:
What about slicing the forum pie along the lines of:

Beginners' Projects
Intermediate Projects
Advanced Projects
What, are you stark raving mad? Projects
Get that bloody thing out of my house - Projects.

?

Naw. See, I would never have been able to do my caterpillars if the forum were to have been divided thusly. My project fell in EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE.

I adamantly oppose subdividing the forum based solely on that magnificent experience.

This call for subdividing is definitely a call for fixing something that ain't busted.

Dave

7V said:
True. I think a 'Mini Line Array' forum would be great but I'd probably spend all my time talking to myself there.

I'll talk to you.

I think this idea of sub-forums for speakers is good. I would like to put together a tasty little two way but the thought of plowing through the entire speaker forum gives me the willies. In that light, I think a completed project repository would be nice. That way one could get to the meat without having to sift through the endless debates and bantering.

I think there also should be a web site that provides information on currently available drivers - price, curves, usefulness, experiences, level of satifaction, etc. This web site could show up in the Links. I'm willing to provide the server space and write the site if enough people will feed me information. The aforementioned completed project repository could be part of the site. Naturally we would want to be picky and shun certain projects.

What say on helping with the site?

well i would have to disagree. I'm sure 10 15" cones playing 20Hz >150db at close ramge would give yo more than hernia. No no no, we can't have such ambiguity for our new categories.

Perhaps splitting the damage into body parts i.e. heart beat reshaping, electric shock absorbing, and bone crushing (for those cement cabinets). Ahh. much better.

;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
The only problem I can see with subdividing the group on category lines is the amount of crossover projects, such as horn mid/highs with open baffle subs, or TL bass with ESLs, etc, etc...:)

My suggestions would be two groups- "Merely Foolish" and Totally Insane"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.