2 subs in sonotube sub...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First and foremost I am not an expert.

That said, I have put together several speakers using sonotube. While an interesting idea, I do not think this would be a good idea.

Generally, one employs sonotube in order to make the ideal Transmission Line. That ideal being a straight open line, and circular. The only exception being that it is hard to make sontube taper.

I would think that in the back of a car, you are not going to be able to get much length, and if the application is bass, you are going to need either alot of length or alot of stuffing. Gnerally a mix is ideal. It is important to note that there is a delicate balance to how much you can do with stuffing without killing the sound.

Instead of using two woofers in sonotube, which I do not think would turn out well, why not try an isobaric bandpass? I suggest this only because it will alow you to build a box half the size of what a box for one woofer would normally reqire. This would be better for the back of a car I would think.

At anyrate, let us know what you decide.
Brian

I had something vaguely similar in the back of my car for many years:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(clickable thumbs)

This is clearly a rather conventional ported, umm, "box", just using sonotube instead of MDF or something for construction material of the main cabinet. It actually worked quite well, but those are some pretty cheap 8" drivers in there so its limits became apparent after a time.

Just thought I'd post the pics so I can get some use out of this thing that's a) too ugly to sell b) too large to ship anyway, and c) sufficiently well-hidden that my wife hasn't yet thrown it away yet. ;)

I guess I have been proven wrong: you have used sono in a car.

Okay, lets go back to the basics: your objecctives.

What are your size limitations?
Desired use (how low do you want to go)?
How much power do you want? (or rather what do you have already)
How much are you going to spend on drivers or what drivers do you have to use?

If you can define these a little better, I would love to toss in some ideas.....

Brian

HeatMiser said:
I had something vaguely similar in the back of my car for many years:

This is clearly a rather conventional ported, umm, "box", just using sonotube instead of MDF or something for construction material of the main cabinet. It actually worked quite well, but those are some pretty cheap 8" drivers in there so its limits became apparent after a time.

Just thought I'd post the pics so I can get some use out of this thing that's a) too ugly to sell b) too large to ship anyway, and c) sufficiently well-hidden that my wife hasn't yet thrown it away yet. ;)

I cant tell if thats 1 or 2 woofers? Also, where are the ports?

VictorG said:
I guess I have been proven wrong: you have used sono in a car.

Okay, lets go back to the basics: your objecctives.

What are your size limitations?
Desired use (how low do you want to go)?
How much power do you want? (or rather what do you have already)
How much are you going to spend on drivers or what drivers do you have to use?

If you can define these a little better, I would love to toss in some ideas.....

Brian

Lets see, size limitations, if its a sonotube driver, itll be a 16" diameter, probbly the largest will be 3 foot long, so (guessing) about 3.0 or 3.5 cubic foot. I have a Soundstream Rubicon 1002 amp that seems to work best in a bridged 2 ohm fashion (so, 2 4 ohm woofers running parallel). I have 2 15" Kicker XPL woofers to use, or my Adire Tumult (Im still playing with this driver, its very inefficient I might just use it at home).

I'm not set on a sonotube, but I need to be able to stow my top. I might do a setup with 2 12s in the rear hatch in the cargo hold area. Not sure yet. I guess I can give the 2 15"s in a single tube a try. After all I'll never know the result unless I try it.

Well heres some setups I've had so far in my car:
The best sounding was actually the 2 18" Electro-Voice PA woofers. The loudest/deepest playing (probbly cause the amp is optimized for a bridged 2 ohm load) was the 2 15" in independent tubes. However it got in the way of stowing the top.

I also did an isobarik in a single tube, with 2 of those 15" car audio drivers. The result was OK, it wasnt very loud.

(how do you make clickable thumbnails? in corvetteforum its done automatically :D)

JasonL said:
I JUST FELL off my chair laughing so hard at your last picture of those subs in the back of your car. THEM BIG FAT SUBS with that THIN WIRE HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhah no wonder there not loud man get thicker wire man.. totally..

Its still 16 gauge... out of the enclosures they came out of (EV SB180) thats all they used in there was 16 gauge :cool:

eRiCdWoNg said:
I cant tell if thats 1 or 2 woofers? Also, where are the ports?
Sorry I wasn't clearer and the pictures weren't better. Yes, there's a driver on each end. The piece that sticks out is a hollow rectangular slot-type port - you can see it if you look closely at the first picture.
(how do you make clickable thumbnails? in corvetteforum its done automatically :D)
Takes some fancy copying and pasting.

- using the IMG button, create a proper inline image for the thumbnail, resulting in something like this:
[IMG]http://url.to/thumbnail.jpg[/IMG]

- then copy that line of code, and use the http:// button to set up a link to the full picture, pasting the above stuff into the first field (text to be displayed) and inserting the URL to the large pic into the second field. You end up with this:
[URL=http://url.to/largepic.jpg][IMG]http://url.to/thumbnail.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

OK, that was clear as mud :scratch: - but I don't think there's an easier way to do it short of typing all the vBulletin code by hand.

Umm JasonL...16GA wire would be just FINE for his application. He only has 500W going to each sub, and it would most likely only be 2feet long max...which will not have an audible difference from 3/0GA lol.:rolleyes:
Just look at the tinsel leads and the voice coil wire itself...look how thin it is. With short runs of cable it is not a big deal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.