Speaker Connection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some powered speakers that I want to connect up, they have the three pin sockets on the rear of them, I have attached a picture.

The outputs from my amplifier are the conventional two wire setup with + & - which I guess go to the + Pin 2 & - Pin 3 on the rear of the speakers.

My question is:
On the three pin sockets on the rear of the speakers they have Pin 1E, do I just bridge the - Pin 3 to this 1E pin on the three pin connectors I have to use, is that correct?

Just need to make sure.

Cheers

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 74
Those are in all probability balanced LINE level inputs (plus a loop out), you do NOT need a power amplifier to run these it is built in, just send them line level.

If you line is unbalanced then connect signal to pln 2 and screen to pin 3 (You probably don't want to involve pin 1), this way you get some hum rejection.

Regards, Dan.

Well, the biggest clues is right there on the speaker cabinet, easily visible in the photo you supplied.

"Link 600 Powered Hi-Fi Loudspeaker"

The speaker has it's own amplifier. You connect the speaker to a preamp outlet (or a line-level source, like a CD player, provided you have a volume control in the circuit between the preamp and the speaker).

It uses balanced inputs, so you need a preamp with balanced outputs, or configure a single-ended (what they call RCA outputs) to a balanced (what you have on the speaker's amplifier input) adapter.

Helpfully, the provide the pin configuration for the balanced connector. Sometimes this is a bit of a question mark.

1E - ground, 2+ = pin two hot, 3- is pin 3 signal negative. Don't confuse ground with signal negative, they are the same in single ended (RCA) connectors but not balanced (XLR) connectors.

Check the documentation of the XLR output (preamp, adapter, etc) you intend to use with this unit. Pin 2 hot is the modern standard but (long story short) it's possible to have gear wired pin 3 hot as well. So be sure what you have.

You have a male connector marked with a label as "input". That's the input.
There is a second female XLR connector that is unmarked. You would use this to connect a second speaker which will operate on the same channel.

There is some kind of somewhat banged-up volume control there; see if it works. You will want to power this system up with that volume control off (counter-clockwise, or turned all the way to the left, toward the [-] mark) for your first system check.

If all seems well, turn it up a bit ... just enough so sound comes out when you play music ... do a final check, and then set it as desired. You will want to be making volume adjustments via the preamp volume control, not this one, but if absolutely necessary, the speaker's volume control will work in a pinch. Assuming you have a decent volume controlled source, and everything works as it's supposed to, you could probably set all speaker volume controls to full on (clockwise, toward the [+] mark) as your final setup.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.