The magnet on my Tannoy is loose, and it not tight on the basket, is this fixable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've managed to take apart one of my Tannoy i5 AW speakers as one of them was sounding very bad, with anything below 200Hz I would get huge amounts of harmonic distortion...

I've found that I can rotate the magnet while holding the basket, and that there is some play which I think may be why they are sounding bad. There is only around 1mm or so of play, but the the magnet other driver has no play at all.

Is this fixable at all? If so how?

I've never taken a driver apart before but I know roughly how they work. This one is dual concentric also which may add complications....

I've already contacted Tannoy to see if replacement driver is available but have not heard back from them yet...

Probably not fixable.

My guess is the cone does not move or drags. This is the cause of the distortion.
You almost need three hands to do this. Two to center up the magnet and one to fasten it down.
Generally, speakers are not field reparable when it comes to magnet issues.

My guess is the cone does not move or drags. This is the cause of the distortion.
You almost need three hands to do this. Two to center up the magnet and one to fasten it down.
Generally, speakers are not field reparable when it comes to magnet issues.
The cone does move, but ran some sine waves thru it and things sounded awful below 200Hz so I'm guessing it drags...

Here's a picture of it if that's of any use:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It seems to have a plastic basket which I've not seen before, and the sound does seem to change when I try and twist the magnet, so I'm guessing that the loose magnet is what is causing the bad sound.

Hopefully a replacement driver won't be too expensive but it's dual concentric so I'm not getting my hopes up!

I'm going to try mounting the driver 180 degrees from it's original position and see if it sounds any better...

If the magnet has come adrift then this usually suggests that the speaker has been dropped. The magnets are usually fixed in place with adhesive. Problem is if the magnet has moved this can damage the voice coil.
I have had a 18" driver with a loose magnet repaired, but it needed a recone as the driver was completely seized.
On a little driver like that, maybe you could centre the magnet by ear and refix it externally with some epoxy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.