15" mid-woofer - 80 Hz to 1 KHz - for a sealed cabinet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Which 15" mid-woofer can very comfortably and accurately do 80 Hz to 1 KHz in a sealed cabinet? This is for a studio monitoring application.

I think we are looking for a Qts of over .4 and, low VAS and an Fs of < 50 Hz? What else should I look for?

Thank you.

Edit: This SB acoustics thing looks quite good. What say?

Last edited:
I wouldn't use that SB acoustics woofer in this specific application for several reasons:

- there's a double dip at 750Hz and 1700Hz followed by a huge peak at 2Khz. I find it hard to equalize it for a cross at 1Khz. In fact I find it impossible to correct.
- the impedance curve shows two ripples at 850Hz and 1700Hz, and they seem corelated with the problems in the response curve. This in fact indicates resonances in the cone, no way you can make these inaudible with that crossover point.
- I just don't like mixed cones (paper and fiberglass)
- It has a low SPL
- I wouldn't cross it above 300Hz in a critical application

Search for the Acoustic Elegance TD15-M. This is the driver to beat. The motor is full of copper, and it has a ruler flat impendance curve. In fact, the woofer is usable up to 2Khz or even more if you don't consider the polar response. Also, the Alu phase plug and the copper in the motor helps for dissipating heat - this improves dynamics. Also it's cheaper than the SB Acoustincs.

There are some projects around with it, search for Gary Dahl, he just finished a nice system.

I am also a big fan of 18 Sound drivers, you may want to take a look there to, there seems to be a lot of technology in them.

Most good 15"s will do this for you, even the relatively low Qts pro stuff (assuming <40Hz Fs), assuming a touch of room gain.

Perhaps I'm overstating- good isn't sufficient, some have breakups right at 1k. Also, JBL 2226h would be well suited, with some care it can perform very well at a 1kHz XO as its breakup is pretty benign and disappears off-axis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.