source for baltic birch?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just went through this with my local stores. There are places that you can order it from online, but it's very costly to ship it unless you get at least a partial truck full. When I pushed the issue with the local lumbaryards, they were able to call their distributer and get some options. You may have to be pretty specific with them, because to my surprise, many of the people I spoke with didn't know the difference in the various grades of baltic birch.

I just went through this with my local stores. There are places that you can order it from online, but it's very costly to ship it unless you get at least a partial truck full. When I pushed the issue with the local lumbaryards, they were able to call their distributer and get some options. You may have to be pretty specific with them, because to my surprise, many of the people I spoke with didn't know the difference in the various grades of baltic birch.

I see. When I went to my local hardware store to ask for baltic birch, he told me that the closest distributor was somewhere in MD and that they only shipped within a certain radius. It turns out that I live about an hour away from this radius.

I found this place online that gives me about what I need -
3/4'' Baltic Birch Plywood Pack: 12 pieces 20'' x 30'' Shipped to You! Lowest Price, Highest Quality for your wood working needs from Woodworkers Source
but I'm a little weary of buying wood without seeing it. The good thing is that they offer a pretty good return policy and it's certainly easiest to get it shipped to my house instead of driving an hour to pick something up. This is my back-up plan.

Do you want to build you cabinet from full birchwood?

If your enclosure seize is more than 50cm, be careful!

Full, or massive wood, as we say here in Germany, must be dried after buying in the lumber shop.

Take the wood in your heater cellar or s.th. like this for some weeks. After this procedure, it will not shrink any more, and the glued joint will not go wide.

My recommondation is multiplex board.

Regards

Sam

Visit some cabinet makers you'll find in the yellow pages and ask if they'll order you some on a cash basis. Otherwise, ask for the contact info for thier distributor of hardwood plywood and contact them for a cash sale.

Be aware that there is Russian, Finnish and Baltic Birch and that the names may vary locally. In general, Baltic Birch has 'footballs', oval plugs on the good side so best for veneering. Perfect, or "A" side Birch is usually called Finnish.

Lowes sells 4x8 sheets of Arauco 23/32 plywood which I have used to build cabinets that I veneered. Theres a slight chance of having rattling voids but I've encountered none. It's very good.

Do you want to build you cabinet from full birchwood?

If your enclosure seize is more than 50cm, be careful!

Full, or massive wood, as we say here in Germany, must be dried after buying in the lumber shop.

Take the wood in your heater cellar or s.th. like this for some weeks. After this procedure, it will not shrink any more, and the glued joint will not go wide.

My recommondation is multiplex board.

Regards

Sam

Baltic Birch is a plywood, or as it is known in Germany, Multiplex.

Some of what I've read here is totally misleading :mad: Call your fine hardwood suppliers. Anyone working with fine hardwood is making jigs and patterns, backsides etc. etc. of BB and they probably sell it too! if it is that scarce down there, Use hardwood!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.