"Angling rings"... worth the effort? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd August 2003, 07:05 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to eRiCdWoNg
I think I found it...the tip in adjuster in the bottom front of the door was missing its rubber "condom" that holds it in place, so that let the entire window track just bang around. What I did was take some fuel injector hose, and then JB welded it on that fitting. Then let it dry and tightened it down. So far so good. I'm also applying felt to the back of all the friction fittings to stop rattling.

Another thing is I am in the process of making the angling rings. I cut a few 1/2" rings and then used a finishing sander with coarse paper and alot of patrience to hone them down. The midbasses I was only able to angle to about 10 degrees (wow and I thought I would never use trig!), but 10 degrees is better then 0 degrees. Especially looking at the differences above 1K between the 30 and 45 degree off axis freq response on the white paper!

The tweeter I was able to get to 30 or so degrees (estimated), so that should work really well and much better then what it was. The other advantage will be that the speaker is pushed further out towards the grille, so less resonance with the door panel. Pics will follow!
Old 3rd August 2003, 08:26 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Brett D. Send a message via AIM to Brett D. Send a message via Yahoo to Brett D.
Good job Eric.

I would make sure to coat the doors with Brown Bread or Dyna
Mat also.
Old 4th August 2003, 04:42 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

OK most of the major construction is now over. The tweeters sit at a 20 degree angle and the midbass driver sits at a 10 degree angle. I did some preliminary listeing tests, still with no door panel and no EQing. Initial impressions, definately more detail. Expanded the "sweet spot" considerably. I'm gonna probbly have to EQ the left different then the right. That tweeter on the driver side is overbearing, probbly cause of its proximity and the reflections off the steeringwheel/column. Of course these projects always take alot longer. Took a good part of a Sunday to even build the rings and take care of some other things...o well isnt that what DIY audio is about? Tweakin and tryin....

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 4th August 2003, 03:20 PM   #14
Bose(o) is offline Bose(o)  Canada
diyAudio Member

I fully appreciate that I know have someone else to share my car audio experience with, knocking out those ppl who think that Pioneer, Rockford Fos, etc. are the only "real" brand names. Kudos on the Peerless, how do they sound...it seems that you have already made the mounts...I would always recommend those if mounting on the side of the vehicle. Though, I have placed tweeters on the dash and have had exceptional soundstage results. Then again, your ears are probably a foot above the tweets in your scenario, good 'ol vettes.
Old 4th August 2003, 03:58 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bose(o)
I fully appreciate that I know have someone else to share my car audio experience with, knocking out those ppl who think that Pioneer, Rockford Fos, etc. are the only "real" brand names. Kudos on the Peerless, how do they sound...it seems that you have already made the mounts...I would always recommend those if mounting on the side of the vehicle. Though, I have placed tweeters on the dash and have had exceptional soundstage results. Then again, your ears are probably a foot above the tweets in your scenario, good 'ol vettes.

Yeah the tweeters arent too much below my ears. I'm also short and I have my seat adjusted very low in the car too.. that and i dont want to cut into dash or door parts that arent cheap to replace (like sails are, but I have none).

Peerless CSX 165 drivers were perfect. I actually replaced the MB quart midbasses I blew. they handle 130 or 150 watts (dont remember) which is what I needed. I havent blown them yet with a 125x2 amp and I pushed them hard. Best of all they were $40 a piece thru madisound. Rubber surround and a decently fat magnet too.

I think the midbasses are a tad colored (probbly from car function- the white paper of the driver is pretty much flat from 1k down all the way to 60 deg off axis), but thats OK I EQ it out pretty easily. ALso I'm not _too_ concerned with car audio, as long as it sounds 1/2 decent and loud with free distortion and good frequency response..
Old 4th August 2003, 09:07 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Brett D. Send a message via AIM to Brett D. Send a message via Yahoo to Brett D.
Bose(O),

I think most people serious into car audio drop names like
Focal, DD, Dynaudio, Xtant, A/D/S , MB-Quart etc..

Only people that "think" they know car audio talk about Sony
or Pioneer

Of course you don't have to have the brands I listed to have a
great sound system just leaf through a PE catalog and you can
pick numerous raw drivers that will work well in a car with the
right crossover implementation.

I think what Eric is undertaking is cool and all.. And I bet it will
sound fantastic.. But honestly I never turn the radio on in my C5
that's why I spent so much on the exhaust system (good music!)
No commercials LOL
Old 4th August 2003, 09:50 PM   #17
Bose(o) is offline Bose(o)  Canada
diyAudio Member

That's right, with a C5 who needs serious audio systems that propel sine waves, when you can have an audio system that propels the meanest growl ever heard by anyone.

My friend's neon will be using two 6.5" Peerless and two 5.25" Peerless in the rear. The tweeters will be the D80T tweeters.

Hide this!Advertise here!