Modding a pair of electrovoice EV1B W horns For Hi Fi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gday I have had these electro voice W bins for years. I was about to brake them down as I have no real desire to party as hard as these do anymore. So they haven't been used for years. They sound quiet good for what they are at hi spl. They have one note bass that really kicks.

I decided that before I trashed them for the drivers I should examine all and any possibility's for other uses before I do. One is turning them around and using them for open baffles. Which I think they would do quiet well at. But then I run into a thread about porting W bins for lower response.

Would it be at all possible with mods like porting and bracing to turn these into a decent horn bass set up from 40Hz to 100Hz or even 500Hz?

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/EDS/Eliminator Series EDS.pdf

Here is a link to plans and specs to the whole series. Mine are the ev1B. The latest ones listed last. Thanks!

oh and something totally off topic but not deserving of another thread. Can 2* 1 inch drivers on the one horn do what a single 2 can do? I am wondering this question atm.

Hi Pano Are yea I would want them to have tonally accurate bass. There hugely efficient. So some efficiency could be traded for extension or correct pitch. I am imagining they would never work for hifi. But I owe it to my late father to investigate any options as he wouldn't like to hear that I wrecked them with out even trying to make them useful again. They where his and he liked them a lot. Not to mention it would be pretty stupid if they where capable and cutting them up as I am about to pay someone to build a pair of bass horns. Turning them around and using them as a open baffle would work great I am sure of that. But getting back to bass bin use. I would pull the mid treble horn out . Maybe try the two tweeters. I think the mid horns are pretty metallic sounding things if my memory serves my correctly.

Sorry, but these are definitely NOT one-note bass speakers. The problem is that the don't go vely low. And the other one is that folded horns shouldn't be used up to 800Hz like the original EV design does.
If you use them wisely together with a good low.mid horn and a beefy sub they sound guite astonishing.

Regards

Charles

Well guys it could be the last you hear from me. I have one small car to put the most precious things I own in. The largest cyclone in history is heading straight for us. Its 500km's wide and wind's faster then ever recorded. I wish I insured my house now instead of buying my last set of compression drivers instead. Iam going to take those to remind me. I have packed up the oldest valves I have. the vt25's 47globes, the 6b4g,s . Out of all my speakers I have decided to take my 8 inch corals and my km30's. I leaving all my amps behind. There no room. 15 years of building gone. But if i have the valves I can build again. My daughters keyboard and some of her toys. I am taking my Daven attenuators my 288,s my dt150,s and my gold plated commando knife. I guess i will take my soldering iron too. I never imaged something thing like this could change everything. Nothing is forever. What would you take? Perhaps having no house I don't really need any of it anymore I guess. There is still some chance something might happen. It might go somewhere else. But they say it Will follow the path of the last cyclone yesterday . It just missed us. This one is too wide to miss much. Pray for us and my little girl. Pray for us all. Nobody ellse is going to save us.

Hey Guys wE ALL LIVED. They blocked the hiways and wouldnt let us evacuate. So I used all the ply i bought for my speaker projects and screwed it to the windows. We didnt get it full on. Only Catergry 3 winds but they went for 10hours!. Me and my family and 2 others familys that where in the flood path that I took in sat there all night and rescrewed boards as they blew off and waited for dawn when it stopped. Towns a few hundred klm up north really copped it. But our city mostly didnt lose any houses or lives for that matter. Still no power or water after 4 days at my place but there is power and water at mums where Iam. I am feeling very very greatfull not to have lost much. And am thinking of the folks that wherent so lucky. Listening to the am radio tonite hearing the stories.

Well I am back on to this. I think Perhaps I will build my trattric mid bass to go down to 100HZ then these could go down to 50. I am still not so sure. I am thinking about wimping out and building a horn OB hybrid system first using only passive EQ . Then getting back to the full horn set up. But if these Ev's can go to 150 or 200 clean. I will try these for fun in my lounge going up to 150hz Lcleach guides with some vintage 8 inch drivers and see how it sounds just using passive. Iam at Least 2 months of building my digital PC basses crossover.Gee is anyone reading or care if I nearly got blown away lmao. Didn't you care about the ev's at least. lmao. I am having a cyclone survival party so these might be just what I need to have set up.

Yea we got the cyclone but it wasn't half as big as they where saying. God they had us scared. Just covered all my windows with my ply sheet I had bought for speaker building and sat it out. went for 8 hours!. They where right about that part. Looking back it was sorta cool. I great upheaval in our lives which sort of pleasant to look back on now that its over. Fortunately I had no significant damage to my house. And most people didn't. Just about every second tree and every sine got flattened though. And 100% of every one of those glass light burger joint type sines. Like MacDonald and such. Every one was smashed. They still haven't fixed them all.

I plan to try these w bins on there side under azura horns that load from 200hz up. It will be interesting to see if they are at all usefull for hifi. If they are not resonant which I doubt but have to narrow a fr range I will try port them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.