My Audio Physic Avanti IIIs have a lower-MR driver that covers 200 - 500Hz... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2011, 09:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My Audio Physic Avanti IIIs have a lower-MR driver that covers 200 - 500Hz...

...and a virtually identical MR driver that covers the more-normal range of 200 - c. 2500Hz. These 2 drivers are driven by separate sections of the x-over, of course. In improving the sounds of the speakers--and boy have I ever!--I've removed both sets of 200Hz-MR-hi-pass caps from the boards and replaced them with smaller coupling caps in my poweramps. I chose a filter point of a bit below 100Hz to warm the sound of the system, and so far it works very well. I don't play the system to ear-numbing levels, so the MR-hi-pass filter point that's more than one octave lower is quite safe.

I'll soon be receiving a pair of Monaychy Audio SM70 Pro poweramps and plan to vertically biamp these 2 drivers (they're already wired to be able to do that). That way I'll get the same amount of total power from the four channels of the 25WPC-into-8 SM70Ps that I'm getting from the two channels of a pair of 50-into-8 Marantz M-22 monoamps.

FINALLY the 'question'. I'm thinking about choosing two different MR-hi-pass filter points for the 2 drivers, say c. 50Hz for the lower-MR driver and c. 100Hz for the MR driver, mainly for increased power handling/driver safety. That way the lower-frequency driver would carry the 3-1/4 octaves from 50 - 500Hz while the other would carry the 5-1/2 octaves from 100 - 2.5KHz. What do you think? Would there be cancellation effects in the 50 - 100Hz range because of the 2 different filter points?

BTW this is NOT a D'Appolito (sp?) or other MTM configuration.

Click the image to open in full size.

BTW2. The diffractionbegone.com tweeter pad increased the quality of the treble substantially on the Avantis and also on a VonSchweikert Visiun; I highly recommend them.

Hide this!Advertise here!